Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Look what I found !

L'R4

Enthusiast
Hello everybody ,
After Bernadette "R4 gtl" failed this year it's mot because of the incorrect aim of the beam so I looked in lenses and headlights i have and I found these, are they left and right hand drive in the same time? Is is that it?
image.jpg
Thanks for you help
PS: how can I upload more than one photo? Thanks

Last edited:
Can anybody help with the mot failure issues as well?

image.jpg
Thank you for your help and Merry Christmas

no they are lhd only, the lamps that can be used for rhd has a plastic bit that angles the bulb differently. I think I have the metal brackets somewhere which do have the adjusters if your interested, you would have to fit them to your existing headlamps. as regards the mot results you are going to have to buy some ball joints, a gaiter and fix the leaking exhaust [exhaust paste on the joints ?] the rear lens ? is it faded or is it wired incorrectly ?

Here is a different one !

Thanks for replies guys, I couldn't believe what I was reading on the sticker. It's quite ingenious, here is another variant :
image.jpg
Can anybody help with the indicators(front), sometimes it's the side lights that flicker . And the hazard lights flicker just on the driver side but not the near side( all around) even if the lights are ok. You need to put your left indicators in the same time to have all the indicators flashing.
Thanks

Sounds like a bad earth to the lamps. Take them apart, clean everthing and clean any rust off the fixings and you should be Ok.
If not try fitting a separtate earth wire to each.
Good luck!
Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I'll give it go and keep you informed.
What about the fog light? It didn't work for ages but the light on the dash (fog light indicator) lit up when ever you switched it on and yesterday after fiddling with it for a bit it worked and then went out as well as the light showing on the dash.
Thanks

Mostly been said,

Front indicators affected by other lamp: Caused by bad earth between bonnet and body. It's normally where the earth wire connects to the RHS inner wing. There is a bolt there needs unscrewing and cleaning.

No idea why your rear indicators are the wrong colour. Tell us what is happening.

Clean up the fog lamp wiring connectors and take the bulb out and clean the bulb connectors.

Headlamp aim could be because they are LHD headlamps. A link was posted to sort that.

The light illustrated at the top is a LHD/RHD adaptable type, but it is missing the little plastic "snib" that realigns the bulb.

What plastic snib you're talking about, "Benchseat"? They have a plastic bit that you can move from side to side which leaves a dip for the bulb to bulb to sit in it, that's all.
If you have any pics it would be much appreciated .
Thanks Malcom for your help, the rear indicator is the wrong colour because the lens has faded. The things that worried me are the front lights , hazard lights, rear fog light and finding out wether I can fit those headlights to Bernadette for the mot.
Thank you all

Your headlights are the original Cibie's and these were meant for both LHD and RHD cars. The lens was suitable for both. I first came across these in 1979 as Cibie also made a 7" version for the Minis produced in Belgium. You can't get new adjustable Cibie's now but I believe you can get the LHD ones new and just cut a small slot about 3/16" to position the bulb to make it suitable for RHD cars. I had to do this when I worked on European made Minis without the adjuster fitted.

None of my headlamps have any plastic bit...
The two in front are ones I've modified as Malcolm's method, the two at the back are a spare pair I bought at Thenay that I've not modified yet.

It's time to change over to the spares because the original pair are rusting on the inside.
The problem is, one of the spare ones is missing its little metal tab from around the rim. I'll have to take one off the old lights, but I'm not sure how best to attach it because the originals were spot welded, presumably before the glass was fitted.

• P1030667.jpg
    P1030667.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 132
Thank you for your help guys , Bernadette has an mot now. The problem with the indicators and the headlights were solved by cleaning and tightening all the connections, earths and changing the headlights . The fog light was done by the garage as I couldn't make it work. And because I was in an electrical mood I fitted a CD player.
So thanks to you all.

I had exactly the same problem with Millie my 51 reg Micra K11 however I took it to a council MOT centre as I was worried that a garage might claim that there were things wrong with Millie and the Martin Lewis Moneysaving Expert website recommends council MOT centres as they have no bias to seek work from the customer. However, the council MOT centre kindly fixed the nearside headlamp aim at no extra charge and passed Millie as fit for another year! I posted about this over on the Micra Sports Club Forum K11 discussion and so far no one has bothered to answer. When I got home after Millie's MOT I looked up her past MOT's she failed on the same thing last year and the then owner (who sold her to me) had to adjust this himself and take her back for a 2nd MOT. Suffice to say when my Renault 5 Supercing Henri Tudur's MOT is due in April I will take him to the same council MOT centre! :)

That's good advice Harley :) I've been recommended a local bus company that does MOTs on the side for the same reason - they don't fix cars so they have no extra incentive to fail you.

Thanks iMac,

Here's the link to the Martin Lewis Moneysaving Expert website MOT discussion:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot

and I found my nearest council MOT centre by Googling Hampshire Council MOT Centres (as I live in Hampshire) and Google came back with the Hampshire County Council webpage with information about their MOT test centres. Chichester District Council in Chichester West Sussex also offer MOTs at their MOT centre but they have recently had a fire in their workshop and are presently closed so its not just county councils that offer MOTs but district councils as well. :)

Back