Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Maybe a silly question....

b12cky

Enthusiast
Outside temperature is around 0.
I was driving my car, for about 20 to 25 minutes (about 10km). When I parked it, I've opened up the hood just to check if the fan started to spin, but it did not. Upper hose was warm, but not hot. I understand that it is cold outside, but, what would be the "normal" time for the fan to kick in in these condidions?

Hello. That doesn't surprise me.

We have a 1990 GTL from Slovenia, so probably very similar to your car.

The fan usually only kicks in when the car is sat stationary for several minutes (e.g. when stuck in traffic on a warm day) or when left idling for 5 or 10 minutes.

How hot is your radiator getting? It should get pretty hot eventually.

The very cold air passing over the radiator as you drove the 10 KM would probably keep the coolant below the temperature that would switch the fan on. In addition, you probably had the car's heater on, thus reducing the coolant temperature more, so I wouldn't worry too much!

The very cold air passing over the radiator as you drove the 10 KM would probably keep the coolant below the temperature that would switch the fan on. In addition, you probably had the car's heater on, thus reducing the coolant temperature more, so I wouldn't worry too much!
Thank you. True, I had my heater on. :)

Hello. That doesn't surprise me.

We have a 1990 GTL from Slovenia, so probably very similar to your car.

The fan usually only kicks in when the car is sat stationary for several minutes (e.g. when stuck in traffic on a warm day) or when left idling for 5 or 10 minutes.

How hot is your radiator getting? It should get pretty hot eventually.
Didn't check the radiator, but upper hose was warm.
It sat in the garage for over a year. In May of this year, I got it running and when I drove it to get an MOT, it overheated there, because the fan wasn't turning on. Luckily, there was no damage. I got the car to my electrician and he fixed the switch. I drove it yesterday, first time in the last 3 weeks. So, I was a bit worried that the fan was stuck again. After a few kilometers, I stoped and opened the hood to check if the fan kick in. :)

I think you would need to check it with the car stationary, ideally in a garage (with the doors open of course). Check that the radiator is getting hot (to rule out a stuck thermostat in the top hose). Then when the radiator has got pretty hot, the fan should switch on.

Took it out for a spin today.
I drove it for about 22km. It was pretty warm outside for this part of the year (around 12 degrees C).
Start-stop, went to work, drove it to the store...Anyway, fan didn't turn on. Car behaves ok.
I've checked upper hose again. It was pretty warm, but not that hot that I could't put my hand on it.

This means your cooling system is at perfect working order. No need to worry, fan will come on after a lot of start-stop driving at these ambient temperatures.

This means your cooling system is at perfect working order. No need to worry, fan will come on after a lot of start-stop driving at these ambient temperatures.
Thank you for the answer. :)
I also think that it's ok. :)

Bongiorno Pit!
here in Norway the grill-mask you show here ,covered the full width of the grill and had 2 of those "ventilators"
-They worked really nice-even at our lowest winter temps . Mine is in black ..-Reid

Last edited:
Both of my eastern European cars (a 1974 Wartburg Knight and a 1961 Skoda Octavia Super) had radiator blinds fitted as standard. The Wartburg one was a series of slats, rather like a Venetian blind in front of the engine, that the driver could open & close from a control under the dashboard and the Skoda Octavia one was a chain that raised and lowered the blind in front of the radiator. The Wartburg one did prove useful, and as the Skoda is still under restoration, I can't comment on it!

You guys have electric fans?

I really need to fit one with a switch for the hot days to come!

The fan switch is in an exposed connection at the bottom of the radiator. I remove the connectors and smear some vasalene on them at the start of every year to keep the fan working.

Hallo Niels og Danmark-Godt Nyttår... I've got two el-fans one starts automatically,the other I can turn on manually.. -Reid.
Godt nytår to you too!

For peace of mind, should the thermostatic switch fail, I always fit an override switch to any R4 having an electric fan. I either fit the type with a built in indicator light or, on cars fitted with the later instrument panel, I use a spare warning light, to check that the fan is on.

Back