Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Mk1 Renault 5 parts needed

Baron5

Enthusiast
Evening all. I'm after a few bits for my mk1 renault 5 le car. Picked her up last week with no mot and hadn't been driven for a few years needing a good clean but after checking it over I couldn't see anything obvious it needed so I took it straight to mot after buying it and it passed!. I've been driving it around for a few days and although it couldn't pull the skin of of a rice pudding, I've been having the time.of my life in it!.
I'm hoping there's someone on here that would be able to help me out with some bits it's missing to really tidy her up and the closer to south East Kent the better. Things I can think of at the moment are parcell shelf and interior light covers above both doors. Also after a set of gordini alloys...probably a long shot but if you don't ask you don't get!. Also wondering if there's any companys that supply a whole poly bush kit for the mk1 as I would really like to replace the lot along with ball joints track rod ends ect....
Here's a few pics of the 5 after a good wash. I'll look forward to any replys! Cheers guys
DSC_0086.JPG
DSC_0087.JPG
DSC_0085.JPG

That was a nice find
I have been working exclusive on renaults for 40 years
Quite a few goodies I've still got around but the only mk 1 I know of is being used to resell s mid engined turbo 1
Not sure if parcel shelf still with car at friends workshop 20141217_144625.jpg20141217_144607.jpg may have some ordinary gordini wheels needing some love
I am in sussex have got some new old stock parts and advice and support available

That's brilliant were are you in Sussex? I'm down Edenbridge way.it good to know there's someone local with spares and who's familiar with them! Im going to change the plugs, oil filter and oil over the weekend Aswell as cleaning out the carb and doing the points.oh and get the bloody heater working! The fan doesn't work but It seeps through hot air with the vent open so that's a good sign the cooling system and matrix are in good order. The other thing I would like is the torsion bars adjusted. I don't want it "slammed" just lowered maybe 20mm max of front and set to suit at the rear maybe 40/50mm for a more spirited drive. Is this something you could do? I've ordered gaz shocks all round but there going to take a few weeks. I've lowered torsion bars many times on a campus and turbo but I'm not quite up for doing it myself on this set up.

I've never got involved with height adjustment
My one and only attempt didn't go well
Be aware there are 2 oil filters listed for mk1 5 and indeed R4 the thread changed in 85 from 3/4 unf to metric M20
There would of been a yellow or green warning label on last of mk 1 5s saying m20 filter
If you screw M20 onto older engine it usually falls off which can be disastrous at speed
It is impossible to fit unf to later engine
My workshop is in worthing

I don't blame you for not attempting it. I have a few people who are confident they can do it... I would have never have know that about the filer so thanks I'll be sure to check. I would be interested in the gordini alloys if you could get me some pics and we can go from there. And if you do come across a parcel shelf I will have it. Worthing not to far after the service I and a few other bits I'll drive it up to you to get some parts. Are you able to get ball joints track rod ends ect? Ice found some on ebay but if you can get bits I'd rather use your services.

Would love to have had a mk1 turbo but they've gone up in value so much now I couldn't afford to buy one. Been toying with the idea of c1j or c1j internals in the le car block or even a campus engine on bike carbs. Been looking at the engine set up amd the c1j and c3j have a cap you can pop off and attach a pulley to the cam on the box side the same place the le car has. Same with the head you can run the pump on the other side and use the blanking plate to block off the original side. Worth thinking about for r4 engine replacement Aswell as campus engines are still easy to find and are really good engine in my experience. I had a campus and I played with the engine,I put twin webbers 1400 bottom end, 1100 head, l/b flywheel, gt cam and a 4 speed box and it was really good. Slightly faster than a s1 106 rallye to 100 really good results.. Yeah no shelf at all its completely missing :(. Also missing the little trims on the rear headling and drove it last night and the full beam has stopped working, only works when the lights aren't on and doesn't hold in place. This was common on the campus and turbo stalks. But they were a little easier to find!. Thanks for your help Paul I'll be sure to come up soon and I'm sure there's some more parts I'll need, I'll make a list

Looks a nice 5. Seem to recall having seen that either on ROC fab page or Autoshite forum.

As for lowering, I've done it a few times. You need the special tool for the front bars, it's the rears that are difficult as they'll be very much seized in. Loads of penatrating oil then heat then getting the car on a lift and driving them out with a BFO hammer is the way. Not easy though...

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 1
Yeah it's not bad at all just needs a little tlc. And a few bits to finish it. Yeah I won't attempt it myself Ive arranged to get it done when the new shocks arrive. Only just realising how hard some bits are to get now. Might pop over to France in the summer and go hunting for spares!

Paul you were right about the shelf! After further inspection I noticed the shelf was wedged so it wasn't obvious it was a separate pannel..result!! Just missing the interiour light trim and am I tight in thinking there should be a bar that goes from one side to other in the engine bay? If so I'm missing this also.
Really wanting a set of these rims!

IMG-20160124-WA0000.jpg

I am not always right as I forget stuff sometimes too 20150603_161709.jpg

I forgot I had this set of gordini turbo wheels
I may be able to find a very poor set that alewis
From this forum mentioned he had as spares for his malibu
20150402_163513.jpg Forum doesn't work like Facebook where he would now be tagged

That was to test you out

They are going on my next project
20150801_144605.jpg
It is a rodeo 5
Build thread on here projects section IMG-20151108-WA0009.jpg
Screenshot_2015-03-28-22-40-34-1.png 1300 5 ts with 5sp box like yours
Photo at nec March 2015

Wow that's something I've never seen before I'll be sure to check out the thread!. Will get round to doing one myself soon as I plan to do quite alot to the little 5

And I would much appreciate it if you can contact the person with spare wheels of they still have them. Im not fussed of they need a refurburbed

i bought this car to use as spares for my Gordini a few years ago but it was too good to break so my son and I restored it . I toof the interior to put in mine as it was better and had to swap all the glass as the tint is different. the welding was done professionally but not too pretty and the respray was a bare body, glass out complete spray followed by Waxoyl everywhere. i did think to keep it but have 6 cars so it went a couple of years ago to a young lad who wanted a more economical car than an FD Victor. The parcel shelf was in it then but no covers on the lights as I could not find any. It was a lovely little car to driver, would not win any races but did 50mpg. Good luck with it
Allan

Hey Mr Reno, Worthing you say? I am near Gatwick. Sorry for partly hi-jacking this thread ... but I am after some advice / parts!

I have recently purchased a 1976 r4f4 led van and am looking at putting a turbo engine in it. I have a 1987 turbo engine, but reading these forums it seems I need an alpine engine or a pre-85 1.4 block and transfer the turbo parts.

If you/any one has either an alpine engine (I am guessing I am dreaming!) or a pre 85 block for sale please let me know.

Also if you are a garage (i.e. I can use your services!) please let me know contact details. Many thanks

Surrey Charlie are you talking about putting a c1j R5 turbo lump in? Been thinking the same for my 5 and it is possible to put c1j and campus engine in as a newer or more powerful replacement.

Back