Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Model |Year Differences

chudson

Enthusiast
Since I am renovating my R4 (whic has been retrofited with loads of younger model parts ) I have lots of questions about details and have some problems identifying the right ones. So i thought we could make a thread where all information about production changes would be available. The questions about dashboards , front grilles are easy but can anybody tell me :

1. When did they change boot lid hinges from the welded to the long bolted type and later to the short type ?

2. When did they change interionr air intake flap from metal to plastic . and when did they change the plastic to the simplier one ( withouth the small "canopy" )

3. Boot lid lock . I found two types: With short one sided handle and two sided handle, When were they mounted.

4.Fuel filler. There is shorter and longer type standing out of the rear wing. Does it depent on the year or model ? The longer looks better for me as it stands out more, but the rubber pipe for it is more expensive.

5. Glass master cylinder (AKA brake fluid) tank , how long was it mounted ?

6. Glass expansion tank for colling fluid ? Till when did they use that ?

7. Door hinges ? What year did they hide hinges ?

8. Steering rack with long tie rods . When did they change them for short ?

9. Wipers ? In what models did they have straight arms and parked in the middle of the windscreen ?

10. Reversing lights , rear fog light. When did they appear ?

11. Handbrake ? When was it moved to the rear wheels ?

12. Rear swing arms/ THere are two types. Made of bend metal profiles and more massive cast of iron. WHen were they replaced and which were first ?

13.Seats with head rests ? Whed did they introduce them ?

14 Safety belts ? When were they first mounted in the front and when in the back seats ?

15 Front indicators. THere are a few models. White glass, yellow plastic, late rectangular model ( two different atleast ) When were they changed ?

16. Rear lamps . Standard late model, Early with metal around reflective lens. With indicator at the top (not middle)or with chrome sides.

17. Wheel rims with central screw mounted chrome caps . Till when ?

18. Chrome on door windows. Some elements were metal or chromed ( from outside and inside ) When did they change it to plastic ?

19. Gear knob ? Early ball type , and a few later models I guess ? Any details somebody ?

20. Very early car jack which was put in the hole of rear swing arm bush ? Is is from R4 ? I've got it and have no idea how to attach it uder bonnet.

21. Emblems . Aluminium Renault on front wings and back lid, later black plastic . Again when was the change ?

I can't remember more for now :D I have some of the thing and can load pictures if it would help :D

Be a nice idea BUT we would all end up arguing as a lot of detail changes are country specific different factory could still be building variants for the home and export market
example the UK never got 1108 cc F4 vans once the F6 was introduced in 1980 but Ireland I have been told did
after 1987 no more 4 at all in UK rest of Europe up til 1993

3. Boot lid lock . I found two types: With short one sided handle and two sided handle, When were they mounted.

6. Glass expansion tank for colling fluid ? Till when did they use that ?

I want the two handle version for my '85 for pure looks wise. Thrown factory look out the window when i decided I was going to keep it for life

number 6 interests me, if I could find out more, I might be able to figure out if its poss to install a jack daniel bottle as the expansion instead. (LONG STORY)

Thanks for that link Hanz, I now reckon my car is from somewhere between 1978 and 1982.

Rather a lot appears to be either optional (fog light, reverse light, safety belts, head rests), country-specific (colour of indicator lights), or model-specific (especially for the chrome parts and emblems). I don't know about the glass bottles for brake (used to be metal for the first few years) and cooling fluid, or the suspension arms, though.

If you use the pr900 parts book they have a list of chassis numbers that start on each model year so you should be able to narrow it down further

before everything was computerised and before microfiche the renault parts dealer would have a copy of this book which enabled you to look up the most common parts 4 most renaults easily
it is a massive thick book with picture illustration
this is the later pr9 01 which covers models Introduced 84 onwards
i do have a copy of the pr 900 but it would be impossible to scan i think it would take forever

• 20150123_102101.jpg
    20150123_102101.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2
It would be great!
In Italy you can reproduce just a part of a book (15-20%), and I think that scanning only the r4 related parts we can stay still in legal zone...

Technically it is not a book and I wouldn't be sure if there are copyrights on it.Probably it wasn't ever sold to customers ( it was service book for service stations )and even if , it would have been long time ago- therefore copying it wouldn't affect Renault's budget. Besides would Renault mind?- afterall we are doing our best to keep their products alive.

Certainly on Planet Citroen, which I also inhabit, old part books are freely reproduced and distributed, free in electronic form, and Messrs Citroen appear never to have kicked up any sort of fuss.

yrs

David B
(mild and muggy in the Pyrenees)

Back