Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

More electrical problems

ggcton

Enthusiast
I know this subject has been up before but I have a reoccurance of an electrical fault that will stop me getting an MOT and will stop me coming to Thenay if not properley resolved.
when I put my headlamps on the front left and the side lights are dim.When I put on the indicators with no headlamps they work but once the headlamps are switched on no indicators.

I have cleand the earth from bonnet to body of the car this makes no difference.

Any ideas.
Gary

Thanks to a phone call from Simon P everything seems to be working now( I have been here before) so I should be able to go for an mot on Monday.
Only time will tell if the fault has gone for good this time but I live in hope.
Gary

What was the problem?
I would indicate a light switch failure...
In my r4 is the same for side indicators and lights...

The earth wire from the front of the body to the alternator was not making a good earth.
I removed the wire and cleaned everything and out put it back and all works.
On a right hand drive car there is an earth from the headlamp and side lamp to a bolt on the body on the left hand side.
On the right side there should be an earth from the headlamp the side lamp and an earth from the body to the alternator.

Simon had had problems as the body to alternator had been missing in may case the connections were not clean.

Gary

Mine had a missing front sidelight the other week and upon inspection I had no rear light on the same side too, a quick look in the fuse box, and there was the fuse sitting in the lid!

Not quite the same I know, but it was slightly comical as I'd started stripping all the front sidelights out and checking bulbs, earths etc, before I suddenly thought to check the back too!

Back