Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

need info on motor C2JM7/80 (R5TS-89)

reidalpine

Enthusiast
-all I know is this is a motor from a R5TS-89mod. 1397cc.
was it vertically mounted? Is it any good? can it be put in my R4F4 or is the "salad"(waterpump etc) in the wrong end??-R.

A mechanic told me I could put a super5 1.2 engine and it will not be noticeable, cause it has the same shape of my 956 (I was thinking of changing it with a 1108 and he suggested this other option). Do you agree? I read that only r5 engines where compatible, not super5...
What engines are we going to look for to have a little more power? I made a gpl conversion of my r4 last week... it became quite sloooooow...
I'm not in a hurry, but my engine has more than 200k km, so I am thinking for the future... when it will fall down, instead of repair it I could exchange with a more powerful one...

In theory it is possible-in practice it needs so many modifications that will make it too expensive.
Any "Cleon" engine destined for lengthwise installation will do (R5 up to 1984, R6), however be prepared for some minor modifications.

It will be quite difficult to find a super5 engine, so i wonder if I could find a R5 one... Here in Italy they are no more diffuse, even in scrapyards.
If I find a 1.2 engine, what else I should change?
Water pump comes with the engine, but alternator, carburator and so on?
And the gearbox? Should / could I keep mine or take it away even from dìthe donor car?
Or should I find one from a gtl? I do not even know if mine is the same of a gtl or if there are some differences...
I would like a fifth gear ratio, but it seems to be quite a difficult work to add it, and I am not able to do such a work (even swapping the engine) by myself, I have to let it to a mechanic to be done...

You will need to strip the Super 5 engine down to replace/modify the camshaft (to mount the pulley at the flywheel end) and also modify the cylinder head (or fit another one) as the water pump is fitted on the opposite end (you have to use a R4 water pump).
You must fit the R4 carburettor, alternator and inlet/exhaust manifold, the Super 5 items cannot be fitted on an R4.
The gearbox should be from a longitudinal-engined Renault-be it an R4 or Mk1 R5. Even with this, you must modify the bush for the input shaft in the crankshaft. Even though yours will fit OK, it has the rather low-geared 4,125 final drive. Good for off-roading but not so for fuel economy, or on the open road, especially as you will have more torque.
Do you think it is still worth it? Especially when you have to pay someone to do it?

No, I abandoned the super5 idea. Too difficult. I do not understand it at all.
I was asking for the gearbox to use with a 5 engine (if I reach in finding one)...
I could look for an engine when I will come in France in July, but will be a problem to bring it in Italy...

It comes from a longitudinal engine R5, judging from where the blanking plate is. So it will fit an R4, at least concerning the water flow.
I don't know if the bolt holes and water passages are on the same place on the "small" (956-1108 cc) and "large" (1289-1397cc) engines.

If it is from a 1108 r5, this piece should be sufficient to transform my 956 in a 1108? R5 engines are more powerful of r4 ones, even with the same volume, aren't they?

It is very hard, at least for me, to find and understand such things on line, but there are very few r5 in Italy, and they are very expensive, at least 3000 euros for a well maintained one, and scrapped or for-pieces ones are not available.
The better way should be to collect one in France for 2-300 euros, but I will need something to bring it home... Even well-running ones are quite cheap, and could be convenient to buy a car that is able to come home on her own wheels instead of buying a cheaper one but paying the transport... But it would be a pity to crash her only for an engine and a couple of front seats...

Andrea, the first head was actually from a 1108 engine.

You will first of all need a piston/liner set, to increase engine size. You can use your existing head but you will end with low compression ratio. You can either fit a 1108 head (make sure it comes from a GTL and not from an F6 as they had low compression) or have your head skimmed.

In any case you will need a skilled mechanic to do the job (in the second case some precise calculations are required, so he must know what he is doing).

Thanks, Angel...
The seller of the first head (the one from the site subito.it, the italian equivalent of LBC) said it was an 850 one because he found it in a garage near a 850 r5, but now, as I wrote I was not interested 'cause I was looking for a 1108 one, said he was not sure, it could be another kind, let see a mechanic... So not reliable at all, on my own.
Piston and liner are inside the head? I am very ignorant, and I am searching to learn... maybe I need some specific lecture... If I am right, if I buy a 1108 head, I have only to swap it with my actual 956 head and go... But maybe gear ratios are too short with my actual gear?
Those heads I found are quite cheap, but if there is so much work and pieces to look for, maybe finding an entire gtl engine and gear could be, at the end, cheaper...

No, pistons and liners are inside the engine block. Hence the work needed (engine out and stripdown).

You are right, finding a complete engine (and gearbox, it's a shame not to use the long-legged GTL one) is the way to go.

I was thinking...
His long-legged gearbox is obviously the better way to use a 1108 engine, while the 956, with less power, has a short-legged one...
Coupling the short-legged gearbox and the 1108 engine would be of some good to fight the power loss due to the gpl implant?

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with GPL on a 4, to realize the power loss you experience.
Right now I am finishing a 956 to 1108cc conversion, with the 4,125 (short) final drive, as I couldn't find a GTL gearbox. I'll let you know what is like on the road, and how it compares with a "proper" GTL.

I am not in a hurry, so I will wait for your news... thank you...

Back