Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

NEW MEMBER BEWARE R4 modifier!!!!

bobpike

R4 rodder
Hi, I'm an old hotrodder so this is a bit of a direction change for me,still it's started well as I have just bought a nicely uprated GTL which some of you may already be aware of.
It has a 5TS 1300cc engine with a few mods, Gordini Turbo alloys, uprated suspension, restored bodywork and a leather trimmed Gordini interior.
Future plans are lowered suspension, rear anti roll bar (any point?), improved brakes (servo?) and a louvered bonnet, but as I am no mechanic any advice/recommended mechanics not to far from Norwich, would be good.
Cheers, Bob.

• DSC00001.JPG
    DSC00001.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 793
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 712
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 755
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 799
Welcome to the wonderful world of Renault 4s. I spotted that one on eBay. Good to see it's found an enthusiastic home.

The rear anti-roll bar could be an idea if the one on the front is too thick and made the car understeer too much. The F6 van has a thin one that will bolt on. Probably best to lower the suspension first and then see what you think about the handling.

I'm considering a similar conversion on my car (1400cc 5 speed etc), so I'd be interested to hear how you get on with yours.

It's low now!

:D Hi, I have had the car lowered as you can see, and it still rides well. The only alteration apart from moving the torsion bars, was to cut the long front shock absorber rubbers in half to retain enough suspension movement. The guy who did it for me is an MOT tester and he was happy with the result.
I forgot to measure it before it was lowered so I don't know how much it's dropped by, perhaps someone would measure a standard car and let me know.
Height to top centre of wheelarches are.... Front 530mm Rear 440mm.
Will let you know as more mods get done
Bob

• R5.JPG
    R5.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 515
Mine measures 570mm at the rear and 590 at the front from the ground to the wheelarches, although I'm running some fairly tall tyres. That's a big drop at the rear - maybe a plan not to carry anything heavy in the boot or you'll be into negative gound clearance. :D

Out of interest, what type of exhaust system does the car have? I'm plotting a 1400cc engine swap, but the Renault 5 exhaust looks like it might touch the chassis in places.

I have a "problem" with the hight on the right side (wrote about it) so I cant help you with that but I would appreciate if you would send me some pictures after you've lowered your car at vkaserATgmail.com

Clementine what tyres do you have? I have 145R13.

Hi Clementine, looking at some old paperwork my guess is that it's 4GTL in the middle with a Peco type rear box but I'm not sure about the front pipe. I will try to send a picture. Regards, Bob

• R10.JPG
    R10.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 525
John - I'm running 145-80 snow tyres at the moment, but they seem much taller than your average 145/80 tyres. Maybe it's the 15mm tread on them. :) Have you noticed the speedometer is actually accurate with the 145 tyres?

Bob - the exhaust is interesting - I picked up a Renault 5 Gordini at the weekend and it has the most enormous exhaust I've seen in my life - the manifold ends with two pipes just as big as the normal ones. They combine into one under the wing. My Renault 5 TX (1400) engine looks much the same as yours though. If you've got a standard R4 center section I'd imagine that's a bit small. They are only about 30mm outside diameter.

Hi, I have just emailed the cars rebuilder to try to get an accurate description of the exhaust parts used. I will keep you posted. Regards, Bob.

Hi Clementine, the exhast is R4GTL with the rear pipe from a Mini1275GT cut and slightly bent where the 2 pipes join. Bob.

Hi, Sorry I don't know. When the front was 1st done it was too much so the shock absorber bushes were cut in half. The back was then lowered until it looked right. Regards, Bob.

Back