Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New member, recently introduced to R4

MattSLO

Hello: My name is Matt and I've been seeing R4s in my fairly limited travels around Europe over the last few months. I'm trying to evaluate the feasibility of getting one here and transporting it to the U.S. I'm doing my research on the U.S. regulations and have come to the conclusion that to meet all the exemption requirements both at the national and state level that I need one manufactured prior to 1 September 1967. I may have a line on a 1965. Can anyone on the forum offer any recommendations on shipping from Europe to U.S.? Specifically, can anyone recommend a reputable shipper? Also, any general insights into the vehicle itself would of course be welcome. I haven't had a chance to drive one yet, believe it or not, but I love the cool look of the car! Anyway, thanks for any help.
Matt

USA Customs should be able to give you all the help you need even with a reliable shipping agency that you can trust, along with all the small detailed specifications such as steam cleaning the underside of the Vehicle to prevent insects or soil entering the USA, not forgetting that no personnel belongings should be found in the vehicle during inspection on arrival.

I used http://www.kingstown-shipping.co.uk/ when I shipped from California. They ship to and from Huntington Beach. There is also a US agent who works for a company CFR, a chap called Joey, he came highly recommended. His email is joey@rinkens.com. I didn't use him in the end cos the deal for another bus fell thru but would definitely use him in the future. His is the preferred shipper of a lot of VW guys.

Back