Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New to the R4

stork

Enthusiast
Hello all,
Already posted in the "Say hello" thread. So I thought I would start to ask away.
I lived in Venezuela where the R4 was an everyday sight. But here in the US I have yet to see one!
So I was wondering if anyone knows of someone importing the R4 (pre 85) into the States as I would love to get my hands on one! If not, then I guess I have to do the leg work myself!
Anyway, I have many questions but here are three to start.

First; We don't have lead gas over here, so I was wondering if someone makes a conversion to unleaded for the R4? (hardened valves, etc)

Second; I am a Land Rover owner and there are a few companies out there producing new galvanized chassis for these trucks. Is there anyone out there making galvanized chassis for the R4 (or just chassis for that matter)

Lastly; Since finding someone to help with an R4 down here would be difficult, I would most likely have to do the work myself (I work on my Land Rovers so no worries there) So I was thinking that it would be best to have the work done (restoration, not 100 points but for it to last me for the next 20 to 30 years with no major rust issues) before I ship over (not the best with welding). Any recommendations on shops? I have found some but would rather have first hand knowledge on who to have a chat with that can help.

Regards!
Robert

Hello Robert.

Welcome to the Forum.

I too am a Land Rover finatic as well as R4's. My L.R's are mostly series ones.

Now, Chassis are a top subject right now as a company (maybe even two) have decided they are going to start making them. Currently right at this second you cannot buy a new chassis. However they are easy to repair so long as there is something left to weld to much like a L.R, its not so bad.

No Idea about importing cars into USA - i know the other way round is pretty easy. And from france into UK is easy. I have just bought a Citroen Traction Avant back and registered it in Uk.

yours michael

• IMGP4663.jpg
    IMGP4663.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 148
  • ripon2.jpg
    ripon2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 154
Hi Robert, yes welcome to the wacky world of Renault 4s. In answer to your question regarding unleaded petrol, the 4 was designed to run on unleaded, it has an aluminium head with hardened valve-seats. I run my 83 GTL on 98 octane fuel. Regards Brian.:smile:
Your TA looks great Mike on that typically French quiet road. Sorry we didn't get to meet at Thenay.

Mike is that SI yours? The Oxford Cambridge? I was going to build a replica as well with my SI but alas I sold her to another enthusiast that just gave me a price I could not refuse:D
Thanks for the info on the Chassis. I hope they build them... especially galvanized!
Thanks on the info on additives, but I would rather see if there was a kit to make the engines run (without worries) on unleaded. If not then additives it is!
Thanks for the links!
I have contacted renospeed with all these questions, hopefully I can work out a way with them to pick up a decent R4. Once there then we talk repair/restoration work so I don't have to worry too much when it comes to working on my r4.
It will be fun having the only R4 in my area!

Should be better to have your new 4 delivered with the boot full of pieces... You will save a lot of money in stamps...
If there's a kit to make the engine run with unleaded would be great to know... even because I cannot use additives with lpg... (But the real question is: does lpg give the same problems than unleaded? better or worse?)

Yes, I will be loading up with parts. I just need to start a list once I have the R4 then I will know what I will need (apart from the regular maintenance parts) as a matter of fact I will start a thread on this!

Back