Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Nissan Patrol cylinder head!!

Mike from Spain

Enthusiast
I'm re-fitting a cylinder head to a 2.8, 6 cyl, Patrol. Anyone know the engine timing marks or at least do I set the cam shaft and injector pullies with number one pot at tdc or bdc?

Now you're asking something!! Common sense would tell me that the cam is set with both valves closed on number 1 cylinder (cam lobes pointing left and right with number 6 lobes 'rocking') with number 1 piston at TDC. Where the injector pulley is set is anybody's guess if there are no timing marks, but I suspect there must be some somewhere.
On some engine makes the wheels have timing marks and the cam belts have marks also that must match up with the marks on the wheels.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Thanks Steve, it's a start! There are marks on the injector pump and cam shaft pullies. I think that some information I have been given may be a bit spurious and I think it's that that's putting me off and because of this I don't know whether it's some sort of Nissan foible to set the timing at bdc or not! At bdc the exhaust valve is just starting to open which I would think was correct!

The Japs are a conservative bunch so I think they would stick to the principle that any timing of an engine would require No 1 piston to be at TDC with both valves closed. I have never seen any engine that required No 1 to be at BDC! Firing order should be 153624 unless that's changed from my days as a mechanic. Are there any nicks on the head or the block that look as if they should line up with the pulleys? Another method they may use is using a straight edge, but common sense should be able to solve it.

Hi Steve, only just got your reply (we're an hour ahead here so sleep was beckoning) and agree that the timing is normally at tdc. It's just, as I said, I've had a bit of spurious info saying that the crankshaft pully should be in the 3 o'clock position which is actually bdc! There is a datum mark at 9 o'clock which of course is tdc. However, with all the head bolts loose and the crank and injector pullies set, when I turned the cam shaft pully the exhaust valve lifted the head. I've got to go and carry on now so I think I'll let it lift the head and carry on until it lowers again and see if the notch is anywhere near the datum point. You never know, a fresh start could make all the difference! I'll let you know later how I got on and thanks for your help.

Still no joy Steve. I'm going to take the rad, viscous fan, all the pullies off tomorrow so I can take the bottom cam belt cover off (didn't want to as it's so laborious) so I can see things more clearly. I noticed today that there were alignment marks on the belt too but as I couldn't see the crankshaft pully I couldn't use them properly! Also today, more spurious info (like timing on bdc!) saying that number one cylinder is at the back and not the front of the engine?? Getting weary now!

3 o'clock BDC is right for this, the grooves on the crank aux pulley should line up with the bolt on the cam cover, the marks on the pump and cam should line up as well.

Thanks Chris, there's one thing tackled (set up on bdc) but when you say crank aux pully do you mean the inner pully that drives the air con belt and can you clarify which bolt I use for alignment? Cheers!

there shoudl be v shaped grooves on the pulley that drives the AC etc. Thertes bolt ont eh cambelt cover around 2 o'clock to line it up with and that lines it all up before you start stripping.

Bingo! It's running! Many thanks to both Steve and Chris, especially the info re bdc and the two o'clock bolt! Thank God for R4s!

Glad it runs ok. Certainly an odd way that Nissan have decided to work out the timing. Are you sure that your one was not made in France?

Back