Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

No power under throttle

iMacThere4iAm

Tom Long
Hello again everyone :) since the baby arrived I haven't had much time to play with the 4L, but now the Fiat has blown a headlamp bulb I need the 4L to get me home from work at night.

When the engine is cold, everything works as well as ever, but once it's warmed up it loses power under torque. I can only accelerate very gently or by using high revs and slipping the clutch. The engine idles fine, and revs well in neutral as long as the throttle is opened slowly.

The misbehaviour feels kind of like a regular misfire, and is either off or on - there is no in-between state. Choke position seems to have no effect.

Any ideas where to look? I'm going to clean the carburettor to see if that helps.

not sure what country you are in or what the weather's like there
reason i ask is under cold damp conditions if there is no hot air reaching the carburettor you will get the fuel freezing under load and will only drive on very light throttle openings is there a hot air pipe connected from manifold intu carburettor intake
this caught me out years and years ago

Sounds like a leak of one of the gaskets might be just the carburetor of maybe the manifold gasket your sucking in air from outside the system. Gives a juddery ride once the engine is warm.You might check al the vacuum hoses and the oil cover hoses to

Sure you have to check first the tips from harbourseal and mr-reno-139

Then maybe look at te condensor and the contact points...

Sounds like the main jet if it runs on choke but not off choke. Could be scum in the float chamber. Worth pulling the top off the carb to see if it needs cleaning out (and a new filter fitting to the fuel line). There is a jet at the bottom of the float chamber accessible with a screwdriver after removing the brass plug in the end of the float chamber which can get blocked.

Back