Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Noise from front end/suspension ?

safeulli

Enthusiast
Hi all, i need some help with a loud squeaky noise from the front end / suspension .
i can not find where the origin of that noise is? any tips on that ?
thanks 20180320_162233.jpg

Hello safeulli, it's more than likely a suspension rubber bush, that is moving slightly in its metal housing. Try giving all the bushes a good spray with penetrating oil, like WD40, and see if that does the trick.
Regards Brian

Lower suspension arm balljoint needs replacing! Don't spray oil on the bushes - it will make them degrade.

Malcolm is right, WD40 is not great for rubber. If you must spray something try:-
1. spray silicone lubricant as used on curtain runners etc
2. If you need something heavier to deaden light rattles put some brake rubber grease (doesn't harm rubber) into a syringe and squirt or smear some in. This works really well on rear suspension rattles when the torsion bar is rattling against the inner metal liner of the rubber bush and making the whole rear end resonate. Worked a treat after getting new bushes and still had a rattle.

Had this problem myself replaced the upper and lower balljoints, replaced all 4 shocks, still squeaking, replaced the control arm joints problem sorted, drives great :drunk:

Hi all, is was the ball joints, was a bit of work to get the rivets out , now it is all good, just one more question:
any recommendation how tight the nut for the axel should be?
thanks

Untill it breaks then back off a quarter.. (sorry-couldn't resist) :ashamed: someone on here will have the right torque for you. -R.

Hi all, is was the ball joints, was a bit of work to get the rivets out , now it is all good, just one more question:
any recommendation how tight the nut for the axel should be?
thanks
If your refering to the lower ballpoint nut, should be a Nyloc nut that came with the set, as long as it's on reasonably tight it won't be coming off

Hi Safeulli, according to the Heynes workshop manual, the axle nut should be 90 ft/lbs

Back