Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

noisy grating scraping clutch cable ! ?

AdamWilkes

Enthusiast
I'm starting to get fed up with my clutch - the lever at the gearbox is free-moving, with some free-play and while the rest of the action is heavy (by hand!), it seems smooth.
The problem is that when I press the clutch pedal, the action there is rough, stiff and noisily grating - like heavy metal scraping. The clutch cable is new (but possibly rubbish quality - or dried-out lubrication?), replaced as the old one was getting stiffer and turned out to be close to wearing through the strands near the pedal end bend (inside the sheathing). When I fitted the new cable, it took a few commutes to settle the cable down - it stretched quite a bit initially (clutchless gearchanges were practised on the last day before re-adjustment).
The pedal action is often worryingly heavy, obstructive and horrible acoustically. The cable linkage at the pedal looks correct, and is all loose and greasy. I have removed the new cable and tried to coerce oil down the sheathing, but all is so snug down there I don't know if any reached far at all, and little change in cable/clutch 'quality'.
The clutch (complete kit) is a year old, and all seemed fine to start with (and probably still is).
Should I try another cable? Maybe there is magic in the cable which I need to summon ? Feels like it sometimes!
I am resorting to using my camper-van for work now, as the lack of clutch action quality has worn me down!

The old trick used by old motorcyclists on old motorcycle cables was to remove the cable and hang it vertically from say the roof joist in your workshop. Then after making a cone of paper or plasticine around the top end, fill the cone with 3-in1 oil. When it drops through the bottom either the cone failed or the oil has thoroughly got down the inner cable.

Have you lubricated the shaft of the clutch mechanism?

Thanks for the rapid reply Paul ! Sounds like a good idea to hang the snake from the rafters to oil it (best not do it in the living room then...).
I've not lubricated the clutch arm shaft in the bell-housing lately, but as the clutch was replaced (and arm shaft cleaned/greased) about a year (8000 miles) ago by me, I am doubtful whether this could be a problem ?

Hello Adam I fitted a new clutch and a new cable and I have to say it was a depressing episode to begin with. The clutch cable was gravelly and sticky in operation.the method of lubrication described by Paul worked. But took a little time to improve and for the cable to bed in. Don't be tempted to squirt WD40 in it as it will only make it worse . Check the alignment of the cable as it exits the top of the pedal. Many of the repro cables are not quite formed right at the ends causing the cable to sit at an angle at the connection with the pedal. All must be in line and smooth operation. You might need to file/ relieve the end fitting slightly . The hexagonal block on the end on two repro ones was too long so would not sit within the collet properly ( hope I'm making sense! )

Back