Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Nomad Weekend

Serz

Enthusiast
Now, I know this is going to sound rather silly but LAST year in may we had first Nomad Weekend near Kistelek in Hungary. One of our friends, Attila, organized it with a little help from his friends (who all speak serbocroatian language so there vas no problems in communication – in case you are wandering since hungarian is not exactly from slavic language group). It was held in a piece of land with elementary conditions – water, toilette etc. hence – nomad, and also symbolically because of the nomad ancient Hungarian warriors. Most of us guests were from Serbia, Slovenia and Croatia. It was really great – small gathering (about 15 R4s) but great time. Here is a little collage of it.

THIS year, Attila said: "Well we could repeat it." So he did, but this time in Palic – small place near city of Subotica in Vojvodina, Serbia, and with cooperation of his brother Csaba and a local R4 mechanic Mr. Virag. BUT. This year there were 51 R4s!!! This is a highest number of Renault 4 cars in these parts – From Slovenia to Serbia. I would not bother you with details – here is a picture and a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3OLrgMr6YY&feature=player_embedded

This time next year... well, we'll see. I hope we would have an opportunity to invite you.

Wow! 51 R4 is great :)

Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

How many next year?

3rd Nomad weekend

Hello again
To cut the long story short I will just announce:
08.06.2013. at Palic, Vojvodina, Serbia 3rd Nomad Renault 4 weekend. From my previous posts in this topic you can see what's it all about, and this year same organizers are continuing in the same pace and at the same place. Everyone is welcome. :hug:
Of course I understand that UK is (perhaps) too far away to just sit in the car and drive for this R4 meeting, but still – if you happen to be passing by at the time... Personally I am counting on famous British eccentricity. :wink::D There are also some forum members from "these parts" who would maybe like to come. For those who speak "the lingo" there is more detailed information here: http://renault4.rs/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2325 and for others all information can be obtained in English (and serbian, croatian, bosnian, hungarian) at this e-mail: admin@renault4.rs .
Hope to see you there. :yellowre:

Nice to see you got so many together!

Are there no F4's or F6's in your area? No Fougonnettes at all?

Nicely noticed, BlueGreen. :D Unfortunately it is so. :( To be honest there are still some left on the road but they are rare. If you pay closer attention you will notice the lack of early, 60's models as well. The truth is that in former Yugoslavia people bought mostly tl and gtl models that have design of 70's and later as they were produced in Novo Mesto which until 90's was part of Yugoslavia, today Slovenia. So yes – F models are rather scarce. Hopefully – this year there will be some. :)

Well, to the best of my knowledge – no, there were no Fourgonnettes produced in ex YU. I suppose one could import it though.
I would very much like to see cars and people from further west than Slovenia on some of our meetings. It's understandable – too far away and to be honest this is not Thenay-size or quality event... yet. :D Who knows... some day.
Here is one more video from last year. If you drink enough beer it looks just like 4L Trophy. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jT5iuwKwP8&feature=player_embedded

BlueGreen.

You can easily find out if your F6 is built in Novo Mesto (Slovenia) factory.

If production number on your "oval plate" has letter Y then it is made in Slovenia, ex Yugoslavia - that is why letter Y

In general letter in front of bunch of numbers that is representing production number can tell you in which factory your car is build.

here is "oval plate" from my R4, aldo it is not even close to oval :)
oval plate.jpg

and codes for renault factories all over the world
View attachment renault factoy codes.pdf

Now what if there isn't any letter in the oval part of that plate at all?
At first I thought that it's not built in Yugoslavia because there is no Y, but then checking the pdf-file, mine are not built anywhere???

Here are the contents of the oval plates on
my blue one, birthday 3rd of November 1983:

and on my green one, birthday 15th of May 1984:

Honestly, no letters!
What does that mean? Where were they built?

Now that is mystery to me. Especially because you cars are not so old (from '60 or '70)

Here is description of numbers on oval plate that i have found on net some time ago
oval plate befor 1995.JPG

You maybe have this kind of identification plates
oval plate 2.JPG

If this is true than on second plate (one with rhomboid shape) there should be written name of factory

This is very interesting. Maybe you could create a new topic about it? Because if one is to look for this information I doubt one will try in "Nomad Weekend". :D

No, I don't mind – this is casual topic. I really think that it would be useful to create topic only about these plates. :)

Nomad weekend III

Well... no fourgonettes this year... again. :mad: Also some cars (and their crews) that attended last year could not make it this year (me included)... :(
But... there were some new participants and total count is 68 Renault 4's this year at Nomad weekend III!!!
As I said – no F models but there was this rare beast – Renault Dauphine Gordini produced in 1960. :D
There were awards for the oldest car, the best looking car, the most worn out car ,the most quiet running engine etc., parade through the local countryside, and party after (with lunch, dinner...). Sleeping in tents, and cottages. As it seems - it is growing bigger. I would like so much to see cars with number plates from western parts of Europe next time. :hug: Take a look at the video for now – it captures it I suppose. :D
This time next year... :?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZn8W2VWm6A&feature=youtu.be
Greetings!

Sounds like a great weekend!

I'd make a trip of it but my European languages only just about extend to English! ;)

Silly me – I thought that English was a world language. :D
Don't worry, pepper, at least half the people present at any Nomad Weekend speak English fluent enough to have a decent conversation with you. Well... at least until the beer kicks in. :lol: After all we are not French – not to be able to speak English. ;) So, with that cleared out of the way I suppose we can count you in next year? ;)
Joking aside... I am just a humble herald of this event on this forum but I know for certain that organizers would be pleased and honored if people from further west of Europe would attend next time. Or further east, north and south for that matter – everyone is welcome. :hug:
To be honest – it is a promising event. After 4L International at Thenay and 4l Trophy this is most R4 cars gathered at one place in Europe ever. And people can speak English. :D
Here is one more video from the event.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZn8W2VWm6A&feature=player_embedded
Cheers!
I posted the same video again. Here is the one I wanted to post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=86V7CAunzzw

Last edited:
Hi Serz, I've just checked the distance from my home, it's 1450 miles, that's 2333 kms, quite a trek. But if a few of us Brits were prepared.......well who knows. Anybody up for it? especially if there's beer involved.

I'd be up for it, Subject to permissions being granted!

Beer is for winners!

Justifiably you are proud of the great number of 68 R4's present, but still that does not mean the Nomad Weekend comes 3rd on the list of best attended R4-meetings. You seem to forget the 40th anniversary in Arnhem! That was the first ever really big event with both record numbers of R4's and of different nationalities present!
If you look on this site:
http://www.renault4.plus.com/
and go on to "Events" - "Previous events" -"40th Anniversary of the R4" - then read the Arnhem review or watch the Arnhem video,
you'll find scenes apparently new to you?!
Though I do not recall the exact number, you only have to try and count the R4's on the photos and videos to realise there were far more than 68 there!
Mind you: I do not want to spoil your pride of course, but just for the record......:p

I stand corrected and apologize for my arrogance and bad expression – I had in mind annual events so word "ever" is really one too much. I am aware of the fact that Nomad Weekend is far from big R4 meetings by quantity or quality of the cars, and hope I was not misunderstood. :oops:

Also hawing reviewed my posts in this topic I see that I may have been too stingy in decribing the whole event, and supporting facilities so you may have the wrong impressionthat we make gatherings in woodlands. Let me be more extensive then.

This is 1st Nomad Weekend – really only camping in tents in nature with basic facilities near Kistelek in Hungary

And these are NW 2 and 3 at Palic, Serbia.
Gathering place – simple parking lot because it is large enough, and not so occupied.

Then there is a parade trough countriside and posing on the shore of Palic lake.

Palic is a famous tourist destination in Serbia offering many things from culinary and wine tourisam to sailing and windsurfing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palić_Lake
http://translate.googleusercontent....c.org/&usg=ALkJrhiHuR5gKDHhVwfjNgzRahSlbsqJoQ

After that those who like go to auto-camp "De Tour" for lunch, dinner and overnight stay. It is well equipped with all "civilized" features.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.212990215412089.58148.181297665248011&type=3
One can stay in comfortable bungalows but some of us just like to sleep in tents.

Your gathering looks great fun and I'd like to come to your lovely area. Brian's 2333 km make my 1650 km look like nothing, so go on organising and some day we'll turn up!
Yes, that's the general idea – no pretentious ambitions.

In the meantime could we perhaps meet somewhere in between, at Rappel Quatrelle for instance? I'm sure Volker would love that too :lol:!?
Well... how to put it in few words... let' say that there are good economic reasons why ex-Yugoslavia countries are trying to join EU and not the other way around. :D Besides that, there are some more events planned for this season in these eastern parts – gathering in Croatia and attending WSR at Hungaroring.

There IS a FREE LUNCH!

I've worn out my keypad last year trying to talk people into coming to Nomad Weekend so I'll just say this: Same place, 21.06.2014. 10:00-12:00. For people further away – welcome party 20.06.2014. at any time at this location: https://plus.google.com/102624180232046631202/about?gl=rs&hl=sr . Just announce that you are coming - here, or send me PM.

I don't want to get into details regarding prices but let's say this – if you come Friday, 20.06., sleep in your tent for two nights in camp, eat two dinners, two, breakfasts, and lunch, drink 10 beers, and leave on Sunday, 22.06.2014. it will cost you about 20 GBP (about 25 EUR). Sleeping in bungalow adds a few Pounds to the price. Of course you can bring your own food, and drinks, sleep in your car outside campsite, and you will still get a T-shirt, and A FREE LUNCH and one beer, providing you show up Saturday, 22.06. from 10 to 12 (GMT+1) driving your Renault 4. :D

For "native language" speaking people from "The Region" here is a link: http://www.renault4.rs/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2414 where it's all explained .

Please come, all Renault 4 fans are welcome! For more details about Nomad Weekend, and location read this thread from the beginning.

Looks awesome! I'd love to do it but am booked up this year, if it's on next year I'd love to come over, I'd love a big Road trip!

I reckon we ought to get a couple of us to come, Mmm wonders whether Brian would be up for it?

Mmm, I might be pepper, although a week after that a friend in Brittany has an old car event, and then ofcourse there's Thenay. Oh dear, so much to choose from:)
I'm not ruling it out though, if we could get a group of mad 4L owners together.....Just maybe;)

Last edited:
Back