Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Notes on windscreens

iMacThere4iAm

Tom Long
This morning I noticed a scrap of paper under Felicia's windscreen wiper with a phone number on it.
I rang the number and it was answered by the acute psychiatric ward at the local hospital, who had no idea what I was talking about and probably feared the worst for my state of mind.

Have you ever left or found a note on a windscreen, perhaps for another R4 driver or as in my case simply baffling?

I was once in Bishop's Castle, a town just about at the end of the universe, and I saw parked in the main street a 1974 R4 (this was in the late 80s). As my own machine was not of the youngest, I put a note under the windscreen telling the owner to contact me in the event of him/her wishing to sell.

Three years later the phone rang. The car had failed its MOT.

I trailered it back home and after repairs had several good years' use from it. It's still in existence although SORNED for the last 12 years and needing various major work.

Don't discount the technique!

Last edited:
Have you ever left or found a note on a windscreen, perhaps for another R4 driver or as in my case simply baffling?

I've used the note on windscreen to buy several derelict cars on driveways. My favourite though was that I used to go up to London in the evenings and park my 2cv in the station car park. There was usually another 2cv in the car park for someone who I assumed worked in London during the day.

One time I parked my 2cv next to theres and left them a note just saying it was a nice car. When I got back about midnight their car was gone and they'd replied to my note and put it back under my windscreen wiper.

For about six months after that every time I parked in the car park I left them a note and they replied. We wrote a little story about the two cars falling in love and running (driving) away together to Gretna Green. I never met the owner of the car and don't park there any more, but the other 2cv still parks each day at the station... ;)

The other day I took Renae down to Dorset to see the family for her first proper run. Given that it has taken virtually 2 years to get her back off the garage who was working on her this was quite an expedition. When I checked the next morning I had a nice note from someone asking if I could call them when I am prepared to sell. Its always nice to get these! :0)
I never realised how high a regard people have for R4's until recently. Before I got the car on the road people thought I was crazy waiting so long to get her back but it seems to have paid off.

I've had a couple, one a few years ago offering me a free engine for a GTL and another last year when parked in Sainsburys asking if I want to sell the car to give them a call.

This year I haven't received any, but last year about 10. All were on offers to buy my car. As I'm driving the same route to work. I think this is the answer why I don't receive any more new notes.

Back