Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

One R4 from Croatia is coming to UK

I wonder why not in France. .. still full of car, way more near and maybe more interesting models... I think that the majority of 4ls in Croatia and side countries are modern gtls...

Sounds like the buyer had a local connection to Croatia as the article says he had been a few times. Maybe good GTLs are cheaper there, he paid €1000 for the car which sounds pretty good and you can fly to Pula pretty cheap too.

Lobster is right!

According to article he is in Istra on regular basis (as some of you in France), and as there is a lot R4 he "felt in love" and decided to bring one home to UK.

I have somewhere write about prices in Croatia. And for 1000€ you can get descent R4 with small amount of rust. But for that kind of money you need to snoop around and bump into good deal.
R4 prices are gone up last two years.

Yes...tis me, I made it!!
8 countries, 2000km in 3 days
Come to think of it, can anyone help with the chaos that is importing.........notifying DVLA? paying VAT? MOTs? Registration? New MPH speedo + for-light? HELP!!

Hello!

As Croatia is in the EU you aren't liable for any VAT or other tax. As for getting it legal you need to do this NOVA thing - provably best to google it. There's plenty on here about headlight conversion and other bits too!

Leed.....very glad that you made it....it tels me that your R4 is in good condition.

apparently info about you coming home is faster...
welcome to forum!

I found an earlier post with some info:

Phone Customs and Excise VAT people and get them to email you a NOVA 1 form for you to post to them. (you are supposed to tell them within 2 weeks of the car arriving even if the car arrived years ago). NOVA 1 tells them the car is in the UK and they decide if they want to charge VAT. There is a backlog and it will take them 4 to 6 weeks to open the letter. They will decide no VAT is due and send you a NOVA number. You need this before sending forms to the DVLA.

Get an MOT. You will need a rear fog light and need to convert the headlights to RHD. http://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-headlamp-conversion.htm
If the car was built after 1986 you might need indicator repeaters on the front wings (though the MOT people probably won't check).

Phone the DVLA. Tell them you want to register an imported car and tell them the date of the car. They will talk you through the system and send you the forms. There is no fee for cars that were once registered in the UK. They will post forms and you return them using the information on the original V5 as a crib sheet. DVLA are pretty quick and you will likely get a form back that lets you buy number plates in a week or so. The V5 will come a few days later.

You buy a tax disc with the new registration so you need insurance on the chassis number (normally comes with a condition it is only for registration purposes and becomes normal insurance after you get number plates) and MOT. They will also want originals of the Croatian registration documents.

Malcolm
That is a very good reply you have posted and worth copying to a separate sticky post as this is becoming a hot topic

Good idea Paul as there are quite a few R4s coming over now and it will make it easier for people to see what is required before they do actually decide whether to bring one or not.

Leed, well it shows it's reliable so good luck with it and welcome :laughing:

Thanks to everyone for the help on this, I've now started the process.
Incidentally, does anyone have two front seats (blue check ideally), windows/locks for the rear and left front?

Back