Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Paint colour for grey bumpers

Chris Litchfield

Enthusiast
Hello.

I want to re-paint the bumpers on my 85 GTL and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a good colour match:)?

I was thinking of using the paint supplied by ECAS 2CV parts for 2CV bumpers, but just wanted to check if anyone had any better ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Oh dear. Do you think I am spoiling Reg? He is currently with Derek and has already got funny ideas about having to have the best dampers....

How are you getting on with the Van, Bluebell?.... Looks lovely!

I think Bluebell caught the ferry to France this afternoon - so no reply for 3 weeks. Probably a good thing as she won't notice my recommendation not to brush paint with smoothrite as it's a pain to prep for spray.

I took in a bumper to the spray shop to have it matched and they came up with Beige P36900. I feel it's slightly darker than the original, though 2CV paint is much lighter. There's artistic licence allowed in bumper paint though.

Here's Ermintrude before and after P36900ing:

Before
renault-4.jpg

After:
front_view.jpg

:D

Oh - and use 2 pack for the bumpers if you can. Cellulose gets stone chipped off which is why people brush smoothrite all over.

I'm thinking of painting Richie's bumpers as they were (allegedly) sand blasted and powder coated a couple of years ago, but now there are spots of rust coming through :( Having done a reasonable job on the wheels (well, I think so!), now the bumpers are the worst thing on the car.

I was thinking of hand-painting them, after striping them down. Does anyone have any experience of this, including what is the nearest colour match you can buy off-the-shelf? Alternatively, do paint shops use standard numbers so I could ask for P36900 (Clementine Grey)?

Can you explain what you mean when you advise against using smoothrite? Is that just if you're going to then spray a coat on top of it Malcolm?

I'm glad that one is allowed artistic license in terms of colour :) (in fact the current power coating isn't really grey, more beige-like).

What did you do in the end, Chris?

Mine are done in grey hammerite anti rust primer, looks good and 1 year on there is no rust.

Beagle, did you brush this on, and did you then apply any top coat? I've got some Hammerite anti-rust primer!

Grey smoothrite brushes on quite well and lasts well too. My front bumper is painted in that as the cellulose paint chipped off. It's about the right colour - a bit less beige than the original paint but that's no bad thing.

Thanks Malcolm, I think I will go with the Smoothrite grey (or Hammerite Smooth Grey as it now seems to be called).

I've just done Blanche and she looks super with grey Hammerite wheels and bumpers, and black bits underneath.

• 2007_0528claude0044.jpg
    2007_0528claude0044.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 316
I used the spray cans, they weren't as economical as the brush but gave a really good finish.

Bluebell,

Blanche's wheels look great! The Hammerite top coat you used looks like a good finish. I used Hammerite anti-rust primer (brushed on) on the wheels, but found it very difficult to get a smooth finish and hard to sand out the brush marks. I then sprayed a coat of Plastikote silver. The wheels are not perfect, but they're a lot better than they were.

For the bumper I think I will just brush on grey Hammerite smooth. Compared to the wheels I reckon bumpers are easier to brush as there are fewer fiddly bits...

I'm wondering if they do call grey 'silver' now. It seems to be in with the ordinary colours, not with copper etc so it might well be. I had a look at what's on the paint shelf but can't help you as I have 'brilliant gris nuage' bought in France.

I bought some silver as its got to be better than rust colour and its definately silver not gray. More like shiny chrome silver than the nasty plastic gray I wanted :( (Will post a photo once painted!)

Just painted the for my 1983 4GTL .
I have used Gris-opaco 677 (R4) but it seem very dark ,
Do you think i should add some white to lighten the colour, our
get some Beige P36900ing.I was planning to do wheels and bumper with the same paint.
Renault 4.jpgRenault 4 093.jpg
They do look better in the day light.
I also thought about getting the new paint mixed with a Satin Finnish.

Back