Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Part to fit Renault5 w.5-speed box....

reidalpine

Enthusiast
Anyone sitting on a Mid-section or alt.a Complete front traverse for R5 GTL/TS/TX fitted with a 5speed
gearbox?? I'm about to start installing new 1400cc TXmotor plus 5speed gearbox from a GTL.
to me it looks the "cleanest" way to weld in the R5 middle part of traverse. Anyway it would be nice to
use as a template for cannibalizing the orig one...
Mid-section where gearbox is mounted would suffice,but I'll take the whole shabang if you have one..
rustfreee as possible.
I have loot for swap or cash if preferred.. Thanx in advance guys/-R.

If you do that it will sit much further forward than the original crossmember and difficult to make it look tidy and blend in with original line for bonnet hinges
I am going to be mounting mine onto a a crossmember I will fabricate picking up on the bolt holes under gearbox and then use rubber mount each side picking up on chassis rails each side of gear box apparently it should then clear original crossmember leaving it untouched

HI Paul.I was thinking along same idea as you but was told off by a mech.friend that told me the solution of making a "cradle"
would have the gearbox vibrating like H****. I'm not convinced he's right,but not being a mech myself who am I to say he's wrong?
I am under the impression a cradle would take up most of the shear weight of the box and using rubber-mounts would kill of most
of the vibrations.Seing as the front crossmember isn't Very sturdy as is,I can't see how a cradle could make it worse than is
so I'm with you on this one.. -R.

When I sold my 5sp engine and box to cristoph from this forum we had discussed the possibility of side mounting the gearbox and he constructed a flat metal strip under box Bent up each side to attach to an mgb gearbox mounting
I keep try to get him to send pics but he has sold car
My engine and box is assembled on floor and as soon as waxoyl chassis is done for 2nd coati i'll be trial fitting and measuring up and report back
Ps the setup cristoph bought is the one I offered you before you went round the rest of France looking ☺

As a rule of thumb (in an ideal world) the mounting cradle should be 10 times the stiffness of the rubber mounts. The original mount was quite soft vertically so a bit of 50mm box section tube running between plates bolted to the bumper mounts would be fine. MGB gearbox mounting would be fine too and it will be interesting to see the photos.

It makes some sense to go that way as the Mk1 R5 gearbox mountings are becoming rare and there is no demand to encourage new ones to be made.

i get your point and will see how it all looks when trial-fitting box before making up a cradle or a reinforced front-mounting... -R.

Back