Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Pin punches and ball joint removers

bobjacqs

Enthusiast
In preparation for removing the drive shafts this weekend I am looking at what tools I will need.
I see I need to remove roll pins and there is a special Renault tool for the job (Bvi. 31-01). Can I assume any 5 mm pin punch off ebay will do the job? Also, I a not sure whether I will need other sizes later in the restoration so am wondering whether to buy a kit containing a few different sizes or just the one. Any advice welcome.

pinpunch.jpg

I will also need to disconnect the upper ball joints and I see there are at least three different types of balljoint remover -
A.jpg B.jpg C.jpg
Again, I'd value any advice.
Thanks
Bob

Did not use any of it.
Hammer was enought.

After balls were disconected i have just pull out driveshaft.
No pin anywhere

You are out of date. Keep up! The GTL has no roll pins in the driveshafts.

I prefer the middle type of ball joint splitter.

Dont buy the Machine mart one... (version of the middle one) Its fingers are too fat to fit.

I found (as I was replacing the ball ends) a little heat (on the half which attaches to the wheel) and a tap from a hammer worked much better.

I had the middle one (from Machine Mart) and it was rubbish one of the lugs broke of, so i've bought another which is the lower one but don't very often use it as it has been said a couple of good blows with a hammer they usually come out.

I only use a hammer but the angle and speed of hammer blow is critical hitting the exposed thread can bend it or damage threads
The hammer face needs to transfer impact to internal taper so I always aim to be at a right angle to swivel taper

Back