Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Pinkpenguindog does it!

pinkpenguindog

Enthusiast
Today, Saturday 20th January 2007, Pinkpenguindog has become the proud owner of an '84 GTL in immaculate condition - a credit to its previous owner who covered just 20,000 miles in it.

In true Forum tradition, the car needs a name.

Any suggestions?

• IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 124
How about "90's wheeltrim car". Sorry, I just can't see past the things. She needs to get her pride back before we name her.

She does look fantastic though. Looks like all original everything and still in great condition - not even a dent never mind rust. Well done for holding out for so long to find the right car.

Names

Genevieve is a French name meaning white wave. Belle is also cute and uses the initial B from the registration. As does Blanche which is 'white' again.

...Whats wrong with...

..Whats wrong with 'Peligia' - Its greek for 'White bride' - who hasnt been molested by a greek fisherman or Rhodes Island hotel employee - Just because the Greeks dont make cars, you are all biased .... They did well with their buildings and urn making didnt they?

Actually how much does a greek urn?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Ian, to me Peligia sounds like a nasty skin disease. And I don't know anyone who hasn't been molested by a Greek fisherman or Rhodes Island hotel employee! :eek:

...Captain Correlli...

..I dont think my friend Captain Correlli would agree with you Bluebell - All that trouble playing his mandolin in a Cephalonian street to try and get 'a skin disease' to fall in love with him - You must be joking and as we know, jokers dont like kebabs. Talking of kebabs, these are Cephalonian Renault 4 seats

You are right Bluebell, Pelagia is correct. I have never heard a car being called Pelagia here!!!!

Do you give your cars pet names in Greece? Or is it just another of the eccentricities that we like to have in the UK?

..Pelagia or Pelegia..

..In the interest of accuracy Bluebelle, Captain Correllis' sweetheart was called PELEGIA meaning 'WHITE BEAUTY' in greek and not PELAGIA, which means 'SLUG' in greek

What happend to poor old PELIGIA she seems to have been ditched for PELEGIA now.

My research points to PELAGIA being Captain Correlli's young lady anyway - Pelagia from the Greek meaning 'of the sea'

..You are right..

..and I am wrong - Louis DeB confirmed it this afternoon when I spoke to him - Pelagia it is - but he also said without prompting that it would be a great name for a white Renult 4..............

Well,kangookris you are correct, Pelagia means "of the great sea" in Greek (and by no means "slug" or "whte lady")...
It is unusual here to give names to cars...however I have a friend that gave his car the name Doris,common here for workhorses and donkeys,since the car was a Daihatsu small jeep (Rodeo-style).
I vote for Pelagia,too. The R4 was the first car to have sealed cooling system, the first 5-door hatchback,the first Renault front-wheel drive and for sure the first car to be called Pelagia!

Well, the debate has been fascinating, and Mrs Pinkpenguindog and I are almost decided on a name for our newly-arrived.

Yes, it should a link to white - for those of you who can remember that far back (to the beginning of this thread), it's a white car - and it should also have an element of fun, too.

So, I'll make an announcement on Saturday, 17th February, 2007 .......

White your guess

Can't wait another week to find out! :confused:

Do we get a prize if we guess the name before you announce it?
What about Chauffé which means white-hot?
Or Snowdrop?
Or Blondie...

Back