Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Pleinair Renault 4's

MJH

Enthusiast
Tried sending a thread yesterday but I think I failed! Have read all the past threads about the cars and there seems a general lack of knowledge about the cars, so I will try to enlighten people with my knowledge and research.
Firstly I own a genuine UK RHD Pleinair; the white one mentioned.
To clarify matters, 506 Pleinair cars were converted from standard production white cars; each given a unique Sinpar number. 6 cars were ordered by Renault UK and delivereed in 1968 and 1969. The reg no were:-
VMY564G/Sinpar no 364 ( my car ), VMY565G, VMY566G, YGY880G/Sinpar no 359 (now WVO522G), YGY881G (car also mentioned in threads), & YGY882G.
There is no logical pattern to link reg no, Sinpar number and date of first registration. My car was registered 19/9/1968, whereas YGY880G was registered 15/4/68. All cars were delivered in white, but resprayed in 1970 in yellow. The cars were based on standard production cars except for 2 features. They all had gearbox sump guards as fitted to morocon 4's and rear anti roll bars from fourgon vans produced at the time. The only modifications to the cars whilst owned by Renault UK, were new canvass side sheets made to fasten on the exterior of the sides, and scaffold type fittings attached to the chassis rails behind the front seats. The side sheets were changed to stop water getting inside, as originally they were fastened on the inner surface. The fittings mentioned were to take frame type banners.
Used for Renault Rendevous, it is correct they were transported to the pre arranged dealer events. They were also used for other promotions, lent out to dealers, and appeared at Rallye Renault. A couple one winter were stored at Renault Manchester Blackfriars Road premises. My car appeared on the front cover of Autoworld in 1970.
All cars were sold to a dealer in the Home Counties from where they found new owners. "880" turned up in London, and was purchased by Noel Parkin of the Renault dealer Parkin & Jones. The car was in a very sad state and was rebuilt in a non original form including being painted in 705 red. It changed hands a few times and it is good to hear it is still around. It is good to read "881" is still around. My car was acquired in near Bognor Regis, having been stored many years, after having an eventful few years with the owner in Beirut!
"564" is completly restored to original condition apart from the side sheets fastening on the exterior surface. During its time with me, it has been a concourse winner at shows, but at the present time, I am considering selling the vehicle, but only to an understanding person. Due to its rarity and condition, its value is £6000.
There are so few of the 506 genuine pleinair cars around; research tells me there are less than 10. There are many imitations including a 3 speed vehicle which was around up to about 1990. The parts book showed all the parts for the conversion, but Renault France supplied only 2 car sets of parts; presumably for a conversion. They were not held within their stock, but supplied on behalf of Sinpar.
I hope this information will give many answers to the various questions raised on the website. Get i touch with me if you want any more information.

Your excellent information is most appreciated. I've alerted another UK Plein Air enthusiast who you'll hopefully enjoy talking to. I'll be struggling to contribute over the next few days (work!) but the Plein Air history is really interesting to me. Like Arnie I'll be back!

I am getting lost ! can someone help fill in the blanks[?]

1. VMY564G ''WHITE CAR'' owner by ROC member
2. VMY565G ?
3. VMY566G ?
4.YGY880G now[WVO522G) ''RED CAR '' Stuart delayhoys car
5. YGY881G ''YELLOW CAR ON EBAY'' the better one
6. YGY882G?

Hi Liam
Thought it was quite simple! I have supplied the information about the 6 cars and their registrations as acquired by Renault UK in 1968/9. My car which is for sale is WMY564G and yes I was the Chairman of the Renault Owners Club for many years. I am no longer a member of the ROC.
You quote YGY881G as the yellow car on ebay the better one. I have had no contact with the owner, nor do I know how to get in touch. The description is supposed to be good but with many faults and non original parts, so I cannot comment whether it is the better one, compared with my concours restored car. Please view the for sale section to see a picture of my vehicle. The 3 other cars as far as I am aware have not surfaced since their sale from the dealer in 1972; is anyone aware whether they still exist? Hope this helps answer your question Liam

Hi,
yes quite simple until you start reading all the threads on the plein air and things get a bit confusing .It would be nice to try to know if the others still exist or what became of them ?
P.S Have you still got your early 60s R4 ?

Easy !
My quote 'The better one'' was a reference comparing the two yellow ones that were on ebay. One was tidy and the other was bubbling with body filler .

Hi Liam
Like you I would like to know more about all six cars. Have you contact details for the owner of YGY881G? perhaps "the yellow ones" may be the same car?
No my early 1962 Renault 4L is now owned by Renault UK along with 2 more of my restored classics; all as part of their museum collection so they are in extremely good hands. The 4L, reg no 8699MG was of course Acton's demonstration car when the 850cc engine was introduced, and the first real estate version evolved(folding back seat).
I am selling my Pleinair to fund completing the restoration of my 1965 Dauphine Gordini and 1972 lauch model R5TL. I hope I can find an enthusiast wanting the car in this country, otherwise I will seek a sale abroad, perhaps in the Netherlands.

Sorry no details on the yellow cars ! they were definately two different cars though .
If you need a R5 bonnet let me know.
Regards Liam

That yellow one was discussed by the new owner here: http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=894&highlight=plein+air

It might be possible to contact him by the private message thing on the forum. Click on his username and select private message from the drop down list that appears.

Good to meet another UK Renault nutter. I've got two early 4s to restore. A battered '67 and a rotten '65. Started the '67 just last weekend.

Good day,
I am looking for an original 4L plein air torpedo Sinpar left hand drive in good condition, originally registered in France. I will be rewarding the 'golden tip' with EUR 1000, provided a transaction is closed and the car is delivered. Who can help? Check out: http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270181280513&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

Hi Jandoe
I am unaware of any left hand drive pleinair cars for sale at the moment, but the expect value you place on such a vehicle is vastly low; more like 10,000 euro for an original and good condition vehicle. There are so few still around and no one has kept acollective record of the survivors. 50% of the UK right hand drive cars have survived which is quite a remarkable achievement.

I think the 1000 euros is a finders fee. :D Very kind offer, and you must be very keen to get hold of a good one. Shall keep my eyes peeled, though it's likely to involve a wait.

Correct, the 1000 euros is a finder fee. I know that actually buying one will involve a bit more. Thank you for your kind attention.

French Document of possible interest

This photograph and document were given to me by a neighbor who saw my cars in the driveway, the photo is an original print so might be quite rare. I thought it may be of interest to those contributing to this thread

• Pien Air 1.jpg
    Pien Air 1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 401
  • Plien Air 2.jpg
    Plien Air 2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 402
  • Plien Air 3.jpg
    Plien Air 3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 397
  • Plien Air 4.jpg
    Plien Air 4.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 384
  • Plein Air 5.jpg
    Plein Air 5.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 397
This message is in fact especially for Richard Williams. If the photograph is still available and you are willing to sell it I am highly interested. I own, amongst a few other R4's, a '68 Plein Air, visible at www.boerammetje.nl, where you can also find an email link to contact me.

Regards,

Bram

Hello,
Please check out: http://renault4pleinair.com and register your plein air. This is a site dedicated to the plein air and is aimed at tracing all plein airs still around and joining their owners and enthusiasts to meet and share information, photos, find parts, etc..
Please spread the word!
Cheers!
Renault 4 Plein Air .com Team

Renault 4 Plein Air website

Just a short post to alert all that the information on the website www.renault4pleinair.com was recently updated. Currently 9 Plein Airs are registered in the Official Plein Air Register. Several interesting Plein Air documents can be down loaded from the site and other documents will be made available upon request to contributors to the Forum. Check it out!

• 3-18.jpg
    3-18.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 185
Back