Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Pre 1976 Fuel Tank

mike4gtl

Mad many would insit upon
My 1970 r4 needs a new tank and i was just wondering if anybody had one? They are slightly different to 1976 onwards tanks, but do they fit ?????

Thanks Michael

Does anyone know is a gtl tank will fit?

Has it rusted or gone on a joint, I discovered when welding a hole in mine up that the joints are standard solder so can be quite easily repaired by soldering.
I also had a crack in where the filler pipe joined the tank this was easily soldered using a blowtorch.

(note all petrol must be removed and the tank properly aired for a day or so etc etc etc etc (standard not my fault if an explosion or fire occurs etc) :shock:

Morning, No sadly inside the tank its self is rusted badly. I hoover'd it out, banged it and it was full of loose rust again. It keeps blocking the pick up pipe and causes the car to brake down :(

My only other option which is a last resort is to fill the tank with gravel, shake it around for a few hours, thoroughly empty it out and seal it with the special petrol tank sealer 'Frost's' sell.

Michael

Arh, thats rubbish mine wasn't atall bad like that it was only when I dragged it over a gravel drive full of fuel that mine sprung a leak!
Would a photo of a GTL tank help ?

Yes, a later tank will fit, the extra capacity is being achieved by a "bump" on the lower rear side-so out of the way of anything. The fuel gauge sender unit will have to be changed, of course, and if your R4 has a fuel tank undershield, it will have to be removed (or the suitable post-74 one fitted).

My tank is (was) fited to my 1971 F4 van. It has no shield fitted.

Next question then, (Ian take note) My sender unit is held in place by 3 tiny 2BA? screws are gtl ones screwed in or is there a lip on the top of the tank that is turned over to hold it in place.

I have a new Renault boxed sender unit here but it has no screw holes......

Thanks for the help, Michael

My fuel tank has rusted inside, so i have rust in the fuel and in the carburator... I phoned this morning to Renault, asking if the tank was still sold, and they answered me "sure... for 405 euros + taxes (20%)".
It is a very indecent price, even worst than seals. I will not buy it from renault.

Now I have two choices: use tankerite to repair my fuel tank, or buy a reproduction from franzose:
http://www.franzose.de/en/Renault/R4/Kraftstoffanlage-Zeboehoer/ANR82437/

Has anyone experienced the franzose fuel tank? It is not identical to the latter version (34 litres), it is a 26 litres tank but "adaptable" to the newer r4 (as mine, that was produced in 1991). So they said me.
I would like to know what I have to do to attach this fuel tank to my car and the quality of this franzose product...

It is cheaper to use tankerite, but a new tank is a new tank...

Andrea scripsit.

Back