Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Prices for R4s in the day.

johnjolly

Enthusiast
Does anyone have price lists for R4's when they were for sale in UK?
Just to try to compare them to today's prices. What are the equivalent models available today, few manufacturers would get away with such basic models now.

I can tell you that my uncle payed for R4 GTL (one that i am driving now) back in 1992 from Slovenia 79xx DEM (if you still remember that curency :D) here in Croatia.
Little bit under 8000 DEM what would be ruflly 4000€

I ended up at 6200€ for my restauration without cost for my work hours :doh:

Hi John
According to the Motor Road Test No. 42/67 (published in December 67), an 845cc Renault 4 - the De Luxe version (!) - would have set you back £578 16s 3d (£469 10s plus £109 6s 3d tax).

Nearly 20 years ago I purchased a 1972 full-factory-sunroof R4 and this came with its original purchase invoice dated 24th June 1972. The basic price was £621.20, to which was added a supplement for the sunroof (£43.50) and — interestingly — a surcharge for individual front seats (£20.30). Evidently the now-sought-after bench front seat was standard in those days. With various odds + ends plus Purchase Tax the total came to £871.74.

Prices rise. The thing is still in my garage having only covered a few hundred miles since I bought it. We're probably talking about £4500 these days.

Back