Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Problem in Gearbox 354-29 reverse.

Frankk

Enthusiast
My gearbox reverse is too heavy and "grutch" noise sometimes. Where I have to begin to look first
inside the box ? What I need to find to figure out where is the problem and how possibly to repair it ?

T:Frank :cool:

Hello Frank, well gearbox shifting problems have sometimes another cause e.g. outside the gearbox.
It might be related with the clutch, bearing or the clutch adjustment. In normal drive mode you wouldn't notice a small change in clutch adjustment or first signs of clutch wear because the gears 1 to 4 are all synchronised, but in time you can expect shifting problems.

But the reverse gear is not synchronised so at the first signs of clutch wear (or clutch adjustment) the clutch shaft inside the bell house will slightly keep rotating, the primairy axle inside the gearbox will also keep rotating and when you shift to reverse it can feel "heavy" and can make grunchy noises while shifting....

So I would start with controlling the clutch adjustment. But, depending on how many kilometers the clutchplates have, it might be advisible to change the clutch plate and bearing.

Good luck, Joop

I have tryied other gearbox and with it is no problem. So it have to be inside gearbox. But I have no experience to seek problem inside.
Thats why I asked here: what are few typical problem in reverse. Is it some fork, washer, or bush ? And can I measure something ?

T: Frank :cool:

Back