Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Question re.starter-motor (R5/R4)

reidalpine

Enthusiast
Hi guys-seems Kent-run took it's toll-never seen the forum
this quiet-getting old are we ??:smile:
Got a question for you..
Starter-motor (Paris-Rhone D8E 121)in donorR5engine(R1225) has had it..
drive-pinion/cluch (starter-gear) is half chewed-up
due to sticky slow clutch I guess.
Anyone got info on alternative starter I can use?

Anyone got for sale a 'pink-parts-book'covering R1225 R5GTL-77mod. for that matter??

-would be nice to have other alt.when I try to order tomorrow..

PS: I do not accept ANY responsibility re.the Norwegian
winning-song in Eurovision Song Contest last night...-R.

turned out to be no problem at all.
have ordered new complete starter
with relay plus solenoid.Dealer found it on first try..
Best thing-I will have it here tomorrow! -R.

Did the dealer just order a R5 one? I'm probably going to fit a new starter motor to the Gordini as it's going to be a pain to access with the engine in place. I suspect they are all much the same.

Hi malc! he just ordered by type..Paris-Rhone D8E 121 he said this starter was used by some Fiats etc too-Didn't notice which..
I found I could also have used a Ducellier type 6187 or 6231
certainly smart to replace while engine is out
-took all of 5 mins! -R.

Its a very good idea to replace the starter motor with the engine out!

With a left hand drive vehicle it is even worse than the UK cars as all the steering, clutch and in my case the handbrake lever is in the way.

Hi pepper! The Real McCoy beeing the inner-bolt on the starter..
(for this you need at least 2 elbows plus a universal-joint as wrist-Each arm!)
If you have the engine out-Or spent 2-3hours removing the starter...DO tack the inner bolthead on to the rear of the starter motor-bracket This way it won't turn and it's easy-piecy to get to the nut from the front next time you need to get the starter out with the engine in place....

PS: Anyone have some spare 7mm.nuts (for exhaust-clamp/Rad.bracket/seats in Alpine??)
They're impossible to locate here in Norwayland -R.

don't know if there's any interest for these tid-bits of info..
but untill someone guns me down or just ask me to be quiet
I'll post on...
collected the new starter today-It's a BOSCH 9330 141 023
this one replaces both the Paris-Rhone and the Ducelliers mentioned at top...
Best thing with this one;it's physically shorter and slimmer
so should be easier to remove later on,finally it weighs less too...
2 bolts + guide-pin to fasten it-They've got rid of the rear-end bracket.Suddenly there's some needed workspace down there! -R.

Do keep posting. Reading this forum is all that some of us do to keep sane :)

I dunno this weeks sanity making exercise has been obtaining a replacement passport after losing mine in Belgium last week.

After wanting the ins and outs of a ducks bottom (how am I supposed to know what my mothers date of birth is, when she died when I was 6 months old?)

Then a lovely trip to Peterborough to the passport office to get it organised quickly, luckily for me the kind lady waived the usual procedures and got it ready for me there and then, normally for a lost passport they post it out to you which takes 10 days or so.

So five hours waiting in Peterborough and £120 later and I have a passport again!

is there no end to this project??? -Installing the new starter I had a closer look at the starter-ring mounted on the flywheel...
-it's dentist-appointment seems overdue as some of the teeth looks
worn at the side facing the bendix on the startermotor
-What other than the gearbox/bellhousing and clutch-assembly do I need to remove to get to the friggin' starter-ring??
Is it crimped on or what?
-Would it be possible to turn the starter-ring other way round to get 'new' teeth facing startermotor or do I have to replace it ???

ANYONE with access to Orig.PartsCatalog for R1225 R5GTl-77
engine 810 G-726 *** I need a scan of relevant page *** (showing starter-ring)

Is bendix-drive meant to get FULL contact in teeths full width or what? I've never heard anyone have to exchange the starter-ring
on any Renaults before -Am I a pioneer......Again???

jjad-I think we all need a bit of reality-check from time to time
-would be easier to always own a brand new car-then swap it when ashtray got full...but then again They don't do new R4's so there we go!

pepper-now you can go to Belgium again-next time you loose your
passport you know the drill so will save lots of time c",)

NEED: some 7mm.nuts -anyone??? -R.

Oh right, 7mm nuts. I can get them if you are desperate. 7mm bolts are more of a pain - I managed to buy some. 200 for about £30!

Damage to the flywheel is unusual. There was probably a problem with the old starter motor that made it interfere. Do you want a new flywheel? I can have a look to see if the 1108cc flywheel is the same as the Gordini flywheel. If so everything inbetween will likely be the same.

Hi Malcolm - I am desperate for the nuts,so whatever you can spare
would be most welcome.. I need 10-12 pc's.

I think you are right in thinking the starter motor caused it due to totally dried out clutch inthere.
A complete flywheel would be very heavy so very expensive to send -haven't got a clue what it actually weighs..
As I don't have access to the parts-manual for the R5 I am unsure
if the starter-ring can be had Separately Any idea?
Also no idea if one from other R would fit...
that's why I thought about turning the one I have other side round

Our French friends uses the 7mm.bolts and nuts all over so there is a shortage in the rest of the world it seems c",) -R.

I think you might be right about postage. I'd guess about £75 to post a flywheel. Have you tried Renault for a starter ring? Or would one from another car suit? Volvo 340 maybe?

I have only enough nuts in stock for my own project, but can buy more from the nut and bolt shop about 10 miles away. Hadn't planned another visit soon. How urgent is your need?

Hi malcolm! I urgently need 1 (one) to be able to fasten the rad at least at one side.t'other side I can clamp or strip down for now..
Nuts for seat in Alpine no big deal as it has 6point belts and seat is Too big to go out the frontscreen with me in it anyways.. c",)
-Don't go to your nutty-shop just for me malc-maybe next time you need something from there...

Have now found out (I hope!) that the starter-ring was/is in fact sold separetely (Pt.No: 05 55 45 99 00) but haven't got a clue what it would cost-or if still available from Renault.
-will try checking if Volvo-part could be a poss even if I just hate the idea of having a Volvo-part in Le Roffmobile -Brrrrrrrrrrrr!

ANYONE have the MICRO-FISCHE covering the -77 R1225 ??
-I have the reader for it,so if you know you have it Somewhere
around have a look!! -R.

Thinking about it it'll probably take me a be a while for me to get to the point of using them. And a shop for nuts and bolts might have me using new lock washers rather than rusty old ones. They are plain nits (not locking ones). I'll chuck a few in an envelope.

that's Superb malcolm!-Plain nuts all ok..
slip a note in the envelope so I know what you want for them ok?
If you tape them to a bit of cardboard they won't fall out.or be victim
to Postal-Demolition-Squads..
Thanx again malcom-I bet my garage Too will be happy now they can actually get parts to stick! -R.

Back