Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Quick Carb Question

jasongtl

Enthusiast
New here, hello all
ive been living in south of france for a couple of years and got given a banged up 1984 Gtl and now its my new favourite car and i cant leave it alone ;)
question: do the late R4 GTL's come with 32 carbs? or are they all 28?

merci

All 28. There are occasional ones that come with a restricted 32 but those are worse than the 28s. The R4 was deliberately designed to be slow as Renault were selling slightly faster and more expensive stuff at the same time.

You can get an extra 10hp using the manifolds and carbs from a Mk1 R5 but that is a shame as they are an endangered species - there are more white rhinos left than early R5s.

i see, thanks for the info, as it happens there are 2 early R5's in my local scrappy (Bezier-S.France) which i have taken one of the manifolds already, maybe i should take the other........

Cheers!

Both my R4 are running on Solex SEIA 32mm carburettors.

I have no trouble whatsoever.
They give me quite a smooth ride. And the petrol consumption isn't bad either.

20170411_132522.jpg Hello Jason. You will to also need to get the R5 rocker cover as the throttle and choke cables are arranged differently with the 32IF carb. Also you need to make some arrangement for the heating water to the carb. So you either can change the waterpump for one that has takeoffs for two small hoses, or do as I've done, tee into the heater pipes. This larger carb is a worthwhile conversion, and well worth the time spent doing the job.
May I also suggest that if you are changing the pump, to fit one with provision for a water temperature sensor, and then fit a gauge in the cockpit to monitor the coolant temperature.

Jason, I'd say grab all the bits you can from the car breakers, time is not on the R5 car's side.

I went into a scrappy (in Ireland) for some Peugeot 205 bits, only to be told they'd just last week crushed them all as no-one was taking parts off them any more....

Back