Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R21 carb

Greeney in France

Bloody nice bloke actualy
As a runaround I have a R21 1700 manager. It recently started to chug on acceleration which clears with more choke. I knew it was vacuum leak but couldnt find it in any pipework, I then found out that a fault with the carbs on the 21s is that the base warps and lets air in
Is there a "fix" without going to the expense of a new carb
Thank you

Hermitite Red (or a similar instant gasket material that isn't silicone based) would surely save the cost of a new carb if the leak is at the gasket. Can also save the cost of a new gasket for the really economically minded among us. :smile:

grind the flange down a bit on some wet& dry paper but do not thin the flange too much. A new gasket which is probably a bit thicked than the old one will then solve the problem. Sealer would help too
Allan

I've done loads of these in the past. Strip carb down, pack venturi and float bowl etc with rag. Use a straight edge to determine how much metal needs removing, use a file to remove the metal by drawing it diagonally over the flange. Test with the straight edge until it is flat. Get a piece of plate glass and use coarse grinding compound on the flange whilst rubbing the carb body in a circular motion on the glass to get rid of the file marks. If you want to be very fussy, use engineers blue to make it perfect. Give the carb a good clean with cellulose thinners and blow clean with an air line.
This is a permanent fix and it won't leak again.

Back