Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 '86 GTL roof interior lining...

MCF

Enthusiast
... any one have a spare part of the above - mine is cracked!

Rgds
MCF

Hi MCF. The roof lining springs, slides out to the rear, so comes out in one piece. I had a cracked one, and I glued it back together with UPVC glue, added a layer of fibreglass to the rear to strengthen it, filled the missing bits on the visible side with body filler, made a mould of the texture to gently push into the filler as it was going off, and then sprayed it. Its as near perfect as is possible. While doing it, I added some reflective insulation to the void above, to help keep the car cooler in summer. I used tri- iso super 10 which is a modern multi foil reflective insulation, like used on space shuttle , satellites, and modern homes. I stripped off about half the thickness, and it appears to work well. Air conditioning is better mind you!!!! Regards Edwin

Thanks Edwin - my R4 had a poor after market sun roof - unfortunately roof lining cracked clean when I tried to remove it. I have had a response from a fellow enthusiast who might have a spare. I had already thought I would have to do a repair job so thanks for the good advice. Here is the replacement sunroof (Twingo). Wouldn't have dreamt of doing it - but R4 already had a ghastly hole - so I do feel that I am improving it.

You can just see the lining at the back and the size of the original hole!!!

20180508_072727_resized.jpg

Back