Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 back on the road but collapses on reverse

Brian Moseti

Enthusiast
Hi,

almost done with my 4tl restoration but still got suspension issues. The car sits well on front drive but on reverse the front wheels collapse into the fenders and the tyres get a negative camber . Only thing I havent fitted is the stabilizer bar and not sure this could be the cause of the problem. Kindly help me... desperately need this project finished well.

Hi Brian, well if I were you, I would fit the front stabilizer bar and try it again.
I've never had any issues like that, but then I reassemble everything, as it should be, before even trying it.
The suspension set up is a bit 'flimsy' and without every bit of support, it won't necessarily perform as it should!
Hope that helps give you a bit of confidence in what you have done, so far?
Nothing complicated there, I'm sure you have done everything right.

Thanks SJC... finally fit the front stabilzer bar, but car still loses height at the front on reverse... strange behaviour, but I have decided I can live with it, as it gets proper height in front gear, at least until I find the issue. I also had issues with torsion bars, car would lose height after 10 minutes of tensioning. Eventually stuck coil springs over the shock absorbers, and that appears to work well.

Hmmmm, I've never heard or encountered symptoms like you describes but... Two things keep going through my mind...
1) could it be that the rear drum brakes run on while driving in reverse? or...
2) could it be that, on reassembling the complete front suspension, the bolt and nut from the upper whisbone where fastened BEFORE the torsion bar was tensioned and car hight was adjusted?
Rule is that you first have to put the tension on the torsion and adjust the front vehicle height and AT THE END fasten the upper wishbone.

If things go the other way round the rubber inside the bushing will go the wrong way round and will fail after 500km or so.
Those things are on my mind but I could be wrong anyway so any advice is welcome.

Good luck Brian and keep up the good work.
Cheers, Joop

Last edited:
Thanks for these tips JdeW... I might have to undo the entire suspension and do it using the sequence you have provided. I tightened the top wishbone first then proceeded to do the car height. Iwill also check the rear drum brakes, could also be the issue. Will let you know how it goes.

Back