Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Distributor Queries

jayar

Enthusiast
Hi,

I have a 1987 R4F4 210B (1108cc) Fourgonette (ex La Poste), and unfortunately the spigots on the distributor drive have sheared, so I need to replace the distributor, a FEMSA R244-D61. I can find references to FEMSA R248 and R296 distributors on the forum, but I cannot find any information at all on this R244.
Is it possible to use an alternative FEMSA distributor, or for that matter another brand? It seems that R244s are very difficult to track down, but if something else will do I shall use whatever I can lay my hands on.

Thanks.

Hi there, if you can find a Ducellior dizzy from a R4 or 5 from the early 80s, this will of course fit the engine in your car. I've fitted electronic ignition to the one on my car, made by Aldon, part number EP 141. If you decide to stick to points and condenser the points are easier to adjust than the ones fitted in the Femsa distributer. Regards Brian.

I have a Ducellier R224D61 distributor and it's a bugger because all of the electronic ignition suppliers I've spoken to say that they don't make kits for it.

That part number rings a bell, I'm sure it's the one in my car. Give www.aldonauto.co.uk a try if you havn't already, they should be able to help you. They sold me an E Ign set for a R5, and it fitted a treat. I will check in the morning if it is the same one and get a photo of the set up. Regards Brian.

All I know is Tom, they have been around a long time on the classic scene, and are well proven. I think they are made in the USA, so the quality should be much better than shall we say, some others made a little further east. American classic car owners are very fussy when it comes to gear like this. I think mine cost about £95 with postage. Regards Brian.

Thanks for your replies, very helpful - I am still interested to know, though, if it is okay to fit a different FEMSA distributor, as a friend I have spoken to has access to an old R4 van for wrecking. He thinks the distributor is FEMSA, but it is likely it is not a R244 as (was) fitted to mine.

Regards

Femsa wasn't a particularly good make but any one will do as long as the vacuum unit works and the bob weights move freely. Your aim will be to get the best performance possible without any pinking so some trial and error adjustment will be required. I do believe you can get new distributors in France so that may be another solution.

Thanks Steve -appreciate yours and the other's advice. I shall, in the first instance have a look at this FEMSA that my friend knows of, and take it from there. One good thing about my (ex) distributor is that although the drive spigots have sheared, so it is useless, the vacuum unit works fine.

Regards to all

If the only problem are sheared spigots (even I can't imagine how that should have happened) I would exchange the drive dog and keep the original distributor.
The advance curve of the F4/F6 distibutor won't match the one your engine needs.
You'll never get the original performance with that different distributor.

It is not normal for the drive dog to shear ,maybe there is something else wrong to have caused it to break,la Poste vans have a hard life. But if all is well you can fit a Ducellier ,much better dizzy,and you can get points ,roter,and condenser easily here.

DavidN - thank you for your advice re peformance difference - one of the bob weights seems to have disassociated itself, got snarled up with the other and the distributor ground to a halt. I know not why either, but I guess anything man made can go that way....one thing is for sure, the distributor is a goner. Everything else seems ok, and I was able to lift the broken spigots out with a magnet.

jonigel - I take your point about Ducellier points etc being easier to get here, in fact the Femsa points are very hard to find. Can you give me a model number for the Ducellier that would do the job for me; if I can find one I shall go that way for sure after looking at comments re Femsa distributors. Thanks.

Regards to all

Hi
Have you tried leboncoin? There's a new Femsa listed under 'Renault 4-5-18-20 allumeurs neufs', and a used Ducellier under 'Allumeur Ducellier'. Both are R244 D61s.
Failing that, I'm sure you could pick one up from a scrapyard. If it's the type where you're allowed to browse, and the 688 D7 12 engined 4s don't yield what you need, look for a Mark 1 5 GTL with an 810-19 engine - these had an R244 D61 distributor too (with externally adjustable points if Ducellier).
According to the 'Revue Technique', the reference number for the R4 R244-D61 is:
Ducellier 525 187 A.
Good luck!

Andy - thank you for your trouble - I shall have a look at leboncoin now, and there is a scrapyard about 40km from here which I think would be happy for me to have a look around. Thanks, too for the Ducellier reference number.

They are expensive, I know, but I think that when my distributor will die I will go for the 123...

Hello
Mine has a Ducellier 248d on it,and i have a 287d on the shelf and one unknown on car comming in next week,as for parts i get nearly everything from Oscaro.com its all good makes,

jonigel - Many thanks for that information, and I was unaware of oscaro.com, but on first glance it looks a very good website.

Azazello - you are right!

Regards

Back