Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 GTL Brakes

Fidias

Enthusiast
Hello to all !!

.. well I am writing because I wanted to know if you've had luck finding disc brakes renault 4 gtl .. I mean the whole system because I want to adapt my 4s 1973 that has drum brakes and I'm afraid to ride at high speeds knowing I have these brakes, I have no problems buying via the Internet to other countries, I hope you help, Greetings

Hello Fidias, the parts you need to convert to disc brakes are the front discs/calipers/hoses and stub axle carriers, and also the rear brakes as the handbrake has to be moved on the rear wheels. You may need to replace the rear suspension arms as the stub axle diameter is different on early models like yours. Plus, you will need to fit disc brake compatible wheels if yours are of the early style.
As all of these parts will be too expensible to post (if anyone would bother to do so!) it may be better if you find a Mk1 R5 (1972-1984) in a local scrapyard and take these parts, all of them (with the exception of the rear suspension arms) will fit your R4.
Greetings from Greece!

Surely the disc brake makes me brake more effectively, but with four drum brake I could mount the early kind of wheel... a lot better than the "modern" one fitted on my car...
Being not able to change braking system leaves me without doubt: I will keep my wheels...

Andrea scripsit.

Back