Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 roof headliner

NickoJ

Enthusiast
I have to remove the one piece headlining from my 1985 gtl. Is there any special knack in getting the unit to release .
I'm wondering if there are hidden clips or is it just sprung into place.
I've removed the visors and the rear clips but it is proving reluctant.Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Nicko,
It is just a case of tugging it a lot more than you think is safe and it'll move. Mine also had plastic plugs front and rear, which I had to break, but I got replacements from Halfords. They sometimes have spot glueing which you maybe able to break with a wallpaper scraper or anything similar.
Good luck
Steve

Once everything is loose remove the headlining lengtwise down on just one side, so from the left- or right length, not from the front or back

Agree with JdeW
it’s not easy I’m afraid - don’t over do it it can split
I used a wallpaper steamer in the end which helped make it more pliable

With mine, a one piece hard plastic panel, I undid the front visors etc, and the clips at the back, and drew it out of the back. It takes more effort than expected. I had to repair a hole. All the bits were inside the roof void, so I found them. I carefully glued them back in place and then fibreglassed the rear. I filled the gaps and resprayed the ceiling, and it looks perfect. Cannot see the blemish at all.

Thankyou one and all it was a struggle but after a bit of prizing and pulling it came out undamaged so now I can get at the rusty rear roof corners.

Do you know, i think it was just one of Wilco's spray cans, a white, and it matched perfectly, not being super dazzle white. I chose an ordinary paint type so it was just white, not over white. Its been on three years now, and despite being 2/3rds the way down France, it is still perfect. I did, by the way, insert some multi ply hi tech mirror blanket building insulation, above the ceiling panel to try reduce heat build up in the car. I think it works because though I did not have the car in a previous summer to compare, the car has never been too hot in France.

Thanks very much for the info Edwin. I shall try that when the time comes......mine looks a bit shabby!

Johnny

Back