Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 vans

Dave Z

Enthusiast
Hi all.
just discovered that the van i have is the F4 and not the F6 as is displayed on the rear door. Have been having a look at the numbers on the oval plate to identify the model on a car and saw that acording to the van plate it should be a F4. I confirmed that the wheelbase is the same as theTL that i have.

Does anyone know how many F4 and F6 are around. Is there more value in one over the other due to desirability/ no left.

Thanks
Dave

There's not many of either around over here but the F6 is more numerous as it was available later. I think F4 vans were only available in the UK until around 1980 when the F6 replaced it.

Value will be about the same really. Wonder why an F4 would have an F6 badge on the back though.

I assumed the door may have been replaced if they were interchangeable.

Backdoors are not interchangable. The F4 is shorter then the F6 and more rounded at the edges the F6 has 1123 on the oval plate. Production of the F6 stopped in 1985 the F4 was build until 1990.

I measured the wheelbase on the left and it is about 2400. So the same as the TLi have. The no on the oval plate is 210B. The TL's oval plate has 1123 on it , so am now confused

Beryl.jpg

I have a 1987 van the same type number as you have.
It was a Paris Post Van, the badge on the back door reads RENAULT4 F4.
They have the 1100cc engine and front brake discs like our 1987 GTL but
they have the early smaller body.
I think these were still produced in France along side the F6 Van but in the UK we only got the bigger F6 Van.

google images has never failed to produce a picture yet although if people tag images wrongly it doesn't help as this recent screen shot shows Screenshot_2014-11-07-07-20-51.png

Hi Thanks all. I had not realised the shapes were so different until i found one advertised for sale. I had always seen the same images as Mr Reno posted. I was told that it was an ex french postal van and it is yellow under the blue paint and on the inside where it hasnt been painted. It does look like Simons one.

Which are the correct wheels for the van. Two of mine have the inserts and two are solid. I also have some with nuts on which i assume are to fit hubcaps.

Backdoors are not interchangable. The F4 is shorter then the F6 and more rounded at the edges the F6 has 1123 on the oval plate. Production of the F6 stopped in 1985 the F4 was build until 1990.

Excuse my misinformation. Im currently working on an 1123 TL and my daily driver is a 2370 F6

Dave, a nice F4 you have. Its rather unfortunate that the wrong badge is on the backdoor.

As for wheels you can put on any wheels with 3 holes that you can find. Im currently running my F6 with speedline alloys. In a few weeks ill be putting on the steel ones with my wintertires.IMG_1690.JPGIMG_0025.JPG

And if you fit early drumbraked wheels on front of disc brake car they will fall off as not compatible !!!!!

To be perfectly honest, I have one in my garage... Perhaps my question was a little underhand! I'm torn and considering selling as it needs a not insignificant chassis weld.

sold 2 of mine recently both needing workgot £250 from bobble for a pretty rusty example
my daily driver also rusty sold for £400 to a friend who has restored it
like everything value is dictated by what someone wants to pay not necessarily how rare it is
ebay will attract a wider audience but how many are serious buyers with knowledge and experience of restoring a R4 previously ?

Back