Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4F6 Wheel Bearings

A spooky ghost

Enthusiast
I'm finally getting to the F6 in the shed. It needs some new front wheel bearings.

It is a 2370 model, with 4 wheel brakes.

I can get bearings locally, but I would like to know" Are the front bearings the same size for inner, and outer?. Also, does one have a snap ring groove.

I will find out down the road when it is removed, but I Always like to know before I rip it apart!:clapping:

Mine is also a 2370, front discs. I have just used a pair of SKF 6206-2rs1 sealed bearings instead of the Renault standard ones. They are the same size bearings for both inner and outer. I think the original inner had an O-ring to seal the bearing case (hence stopping water getting in between the two bearings) and a rubber bit to seal against the hub casting as well. Water ingress seemed to have been the failure mode on both wheels for my car, so I am trying the fully sealed versions.

About £6 each, the SKF bearings are easy to find, as that is a standard size.

The SKF 6206-2rs1 are sealed bearings, so need no grease in the middle of the pair; they are a perfect fit and need no circlips or anything. They are high-speed and good for radial and axial loading, so correct for the job. Time will tell how long they remain completely sealed......

Pull out and press in the bearings with appropriate tool or something like 20mm threaded bar, nuts & washers - is then very easy. Hammering them in or out is quiet destructive - I have done it and the one bearing lasted 5000 miles :( Doesn't seem like heat is needed either - but always good to set fire to an old bearing if it's a bit reluctant !

Last edited:
I crossed them on my end to that 6206 -sealed as well. Just wanted to see if someone else did the same. Though mine is a 4 wheel drum setup, it is the same bearings.

Just bought a set of 4 for $40. shipped.

Thanks for the info!

The bearings are correct size but several revision as noted above be aware there is 2 designs of deflector on driveshaft to suit the inner bearing rubber seal maybe worth offering it up to shafts first to check clearances not going to damage anything

Finaly got to it today. Everything came apart real easy. Once I figured out that weird brake spring hold down on the shoes. Tried my best to remove it, before the hub was popped out..:doh:

The only difference between the old, and new bearings are:

2 more seals to make a sealed bearing. The inner has a itty bitty o ring to keep junk out.

Used a lead hammer, and right sized sockets to drive the bearing, and hub off. Going to rent a bearing spliter tomorrow for that hub one.

After seeing all of the grease, now I know why the brakes sucked driving it home 50 miles. Only had the rears doing anything!:scared:

Back