Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4tl 1976

bison

Enthusiast
Hello folks,
OK, it's taken me months to make this decision but I'm sad to say my wonderful little TL has to go to a new owner, I did all of 118 miles last year in it, and I just can't justify keeping hold of it, it's just a waste of a great car. I'll also be losing my garage when I sell my family house, and I don't want it sitting outside when it could be getting driven, which is what they are for.
We've had 3 fantastic holidays in Normandy and also were at the 50th anniversary at Thenay, it never missed a beat, it has the heart of a Lion!. Remember we are travelling from Edinburgh, it's a long way even to the Ferry!.
Just passed it's MOT, no advisories. It's had a huge amount of work done to it. I bought it from Mr Reno on this forum, he registered it in his name but only had it for a few weeks, he never used it so really I'm the second owner. It has 52313 miles on it, I can pretty much guarantee that, it had around 35000 when I got it 5 years ago. It was dinitroled when new, and I do have some history with it, can't locate it at the moment but I do have it. It has 4 brand new tyres with just over 100 miles on them, all the brake pipes were replaced, with cunifer, as were the flexible brake pipes, brake adjusters are freed off, wheel cylinders either replaced or new seals, new brake shoes, toe in checked and adjusted, drive shafts, steering, suspension all fine, master cylinder repair kit. In 1976 Renault decided to change the design of the cam chain tensioner, it was a disaster, and was worn on my car. Mr Reno supplied me with a brand new factory updated tensioner, timing chain and ancilliaries (the 1975
design) The engine was removed, stripped and the new tensioner and chain fitted, the head was removed, skimmed and the valves cleaned and ground in, the water pump was replaced and a complete new clutch assembly fitted. The bulkhead and engine bay was sound proofed, it's hard to convey just how big a difference this has made, a quiet R4!!. It has an SU conversion, which has transformed the car, I have all of the carb etc to convert back to standard if you want to.
It has been welded in the past, the drivers side floor mostly because of a water leak. The chassis legs have been filled with oil and drained every year. Protector plates have been welded onto the rear suspension mounts, makes a big difference, keeps the muck out. The paint looks all original to me, apart from the bonnet, which has had a dent repaired (badly) and resprayed (badly) not by me. When Mr Reno extracted the car from the original owners garage there was ivy growing on the wall, it had attached itself to the roof of the car and there are small rust spots on the roof and elsewhere. Personally I love it like this and would never paint it unless I really had to. Interior is original, very good, the head lining is like new. one small tear in the rear seat caused by the seat tie bar, easy repair if it bothers you.
I've probably forgotten stuff that's been done, please contact me with specific questions and or photo's. It's on SORN at the moment, I'll tax it for 6 months so it can be driven away.
I think it's well worth £2200, it's quite rare and well loved. I'm 15 minutes away from Edinburgh airport, I am happy to pick you up if you want to see it.
I really really want this car to go to a good home, preferably to someone on this excellent forum, please don't make me put it on Ebay, I'm sad enough having to sell it as it is.
Alan.

DSC_2299 by thepike1984, on Flickr

DSC_2306 by thepike1984, on Flickr

DSC_2305 by thepike1984, on Flickr

DSC_2302 by thepike1984, on Flickr

DSC_2301 by thepike1984, on Flickr

DSC_2314 by thepike1984, on Flickr

DSC_2315 by thepike1984, on Flickr

DSC_2316 by thepike1984, on Flickr

Just remembered, it has a brand new old stock distributer fitted which has a vacuum advance on it, quite rare, works well with the SU carb.
Alan.

That's a cracking little car Alan, a proper gem. I remember seeing it at Thenay two years ago, and checking out the SU conversion. That sounds like a very fair price to me, so good luck with the sale. Regards Brian.

They are the seats my gtl has

Renault for sale

Hi,

I am very interested in your Renault 4 for sale, is it still available?

Regards
Christopher

hi alan sorry to hear that you are now selling the renault 4 really glad that you have had a good use out of it and it will be nice to think the next owner has as much enjoyment as you have hadI was sad too sell the car but knew that as a keen enthusiast i should sell it to you

Mr Reno,
It's a great car, I'm very attached to it, that's a main reason for advertising it here, I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it and keep using it, that's what they're for!
Alan.

R4

It's a shame that you are so far away from me (I'm in Suffolk) as otherwise I'd be really interested but viewing, buying and getting it back would be too complicated. It sounds good.

John

Decided to keep it, I love it too much.
Thanks for all the interest and I hope no one has been inconvenienced.
Alan.

Back