Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 Alpine 123 TUNE Programmable Distributors Available

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Just posted this on the R5Gordini Forum. Until recently there were no 123 ignition distributors for the Gordini engine. Now they supply one with the standard curve but I doubt that would work on a high compression engine in these days of feeble petrol. A French company called Classic Auto Elec have made an adapter to lengthen the shaft so the programmable 123\TUNE version will work on the Gordini engine: http://www.classicautoelec.com/allumage ... lpine.html No idea if they will post to the UK but worth an ask. Works on the turbo too.

Allows any advance and vacuum curve to be programmed in from laptop via a USB. Works for the turbo as it can be programmed for vacuum above 1 bar. I've been playing with the program and it's easy enough to use, but haven't got a starting curve. I'll mark up my crankshaft and measure the advance with a strobe gun then refine it on the road.

Unless anyone can post the factory advance and vacuum curves? I don't have the right MR book.

Hi Malcolm..Post long dead I know,but thought I'd ask how it all went and if you're happy with this unit?
No hiccups or other foibles ? What upsides and/or downsides have you seen ? Tha' much/-Reid.

I fitted one to Simon sapsted r4 if you spotted it at thenay
He seems happy with it

Hi Paul -Yes, I saw Simons 4 in Thenay,he told me it was a very nice drive too.
Why I asked Malcolm is the fact I've seen more than a few that performed very nice
-Untill they suddenly didn't (usually after about 2 years time)
I was abit put off by the 123folks when I felt they gave the customer a bit of a brush
off telling they were so busy manufacturing the units they didn't have time to reply to
what might have been easily solved on their (earlier) forum.. -Reid.

Mine is still working but the car hasn't been used much. I think the programmable distributor is best for the Alpine engine as it is sensitive to fuel quality.

I've set mine up with the standard carb, but could improve driveability with richer jets and a retune.

Hi Malcolm-very good to hear you're happy with it.It seems such a nifty way of ridding all kinds of problems
so I must look into it again.
Did you use the short ratio 5sp.box or the long overdrive one? What kind of mpg do you normally get at say
motorway speeds?
As you, I think the best option would be the programmable unit. -Reid.

I used the long ratio gearbox. It is quite high geared for the Alpine engine which likes to rev. 1st gear is too high and it can do 80mph in 3rd gear! 5th gear is OK for cruising.

I think I get about 35mpg overall (mostly motorway), but haven't measured fuel economy since fitting the distributor.

35mpg doesn't sound Too bad,but would preferably have been better especially taken into account our lightweight cars.
are you using 98oct. or is it happy with lower rating if you don't torment it on low rpm's uphill?
-I found the high geared gbox very nice for my 1,4L TX-motor ,don't know the comp.rate on that one tho'

You still working in Sweden Malc? -Reid.

I found a setting that would allow 95 octane, so I use both 95 and 98.

I'm working in Finland at the moment. It is very cold. I went for a walk on the frozen Baltic Sea. When i get home in the spring I plan to get the cars running again.

Finland huh? How do you find the lingo? are you way up North?
95 oct has 5% Ethanol over here,98 is the only E-free quality,but
getting harder to find.
I saw a white-paper reporting a 25-30% increase in fuelconsumption
if fuel mixed with 10% Ethanol....

(Your 3 best mates in Finland would be Vodka,Vodka and Vodka c",)
-Reid.

I'm in the south west in a town called Rauma. It is a bit chilly. Here's a photo of me going for a walk on the Baltic Sea!

baltic.jpg

D8763E02-870A-42B7-9FD4-5533B0600798.jpeg Hi..I am looking for some spare panels for my Renault 5 elf 30 year celebration 2004 at thruxton..I need a Renault 5 nearside rear panel..does anyone have one..not bothered if arch has gone..as mines like a crisp packet ..or does anyone on here know of a member called bantamallan or know his no..kind regards Andy..

Hi Andy,

You could try sending bantamallan a private message by starting a 'conversation' with him: go to the top-right of this screen and click on 'Inbox', then click on 'Start a New Conversation' and enter 'bantamallan' in the 'Participant' box.

Good luck!

Hi Andy,

You could try sending bantamallan a private message by starting a 'conversation' with him: go to the top-right of this screen and click on 'Inbox', then click on 'Start a New Conversation' and enter 'bantamallan' in the 'Participant' box.

Good luck!
Thank you very much will try that now and see what comes of it thanks.

Back