Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

r5 engine, again...

From what you have said about the lack of parts in Italy maybe it will be more practical to leave the car as it is and just enjoy it. It would also be wise for you to get a Haynes Manual for the GTL as it will be useful to you now and the future.

As Italy is much nearer the old Yugoslavia than it is the UK, you may stand a much better chance of getting the parts you need there.

The ideal solution is to buy a complete R5 Mark 1 1100cc. One day you may see one on your travels.

Well, maybe I am not in the right "channel" of auto pieces... but if I cannot find an r5 engine I will go for a GTL one, anyway better than my 956... And the "Hot up kit" can come later...
I was looking for the tx engine too, but fuel consumption will increase too much, I think... so, I decided: I will have a look for a r5 688 and buy it if I find one. Next, a friend of mine is cannibalizing a GTL and I will buy the complete engine block, with gearbox and the other stuff.
Now my engine is running quite well, it just drinks a little oil but nothing important, it seems. Maybe about half a litre for 4000 km.
In the meanwhile I can rebuild the 688 engine (more easily have someone to di ti, as I am not able, but I will try to convince some friend to do it with me so I will learn something), and when my engine dies I will end having a bigger new one to swap, I can choose if it will be better to use the gtl gearbox to have better consumption and noise level (and max speed), or the 956 one to have a more brilliant car. And I will have to engine for pieces o to be rebuilt or to be sold.

I bought am Haynes manual several months ago, reading it sometimes when I have some doubts, but picture can't replace direct experience... And since I have no experience in mechanics, is quite difficult acting only with the help of a manual...

For the jugoslavian trip... I was realy thinking to it, even becouse those are beautiful places and people (I am a great fan of Kusturica and Bregovic); should even be the possibility to take part to a local meeting, even if I think the language would make it a bit difficult...

Thanks... Just fantasies for now, but I am cumulating some knowledge... Just not to waste my money in impossible adventure and have the best compromise under my bonnet.

Back