Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 Gordini

STEPHEN ADDISON

Enthusiast
Can anyone advise or help on a question I have relating to the engine and water pump pulleys on an R5 Gordini / Alpine engine. I purchased an engine without the pulleys and distributer, it has now been reconditioned but I need to find these missing items. Are the ones from a 1992 Renault 4 TL interchangeable.

You will need a new distributor as the shaft on the Gordini one is much longer. Also the advance curve will be quite different from the R4TL.
The pulleys should be the same as they do the same work on the same components.
A look at the Haynes manual is no help at all but a Google image search indicates that it uses the larger water pump pulley to drive the alternator.

Providing you use the Renault 4 alternator bracket you can use Renault 4 pulley setup
The mk1 5( gordinis included) had different set up to allow lower alternator mounting point to clear the spare wheel which lives under bonnet
Gordini distributor rare and expensive
As 1976 to 1981 atmo cars were points set up
All turbo models had rotor arm only type distributor using crank sensor and electronic ignition coil pack
Due to demand from Alpine A110 owners which are worth 50 grand these days parts prices due to rarity won't be cheap

Thanks chaps for your information, I have alternators for both engines and the brackets to go with them so hopefully the pulley situation could be sorted --- looks like I just need to buy a distributer --- My engine is a 1980 non turbo ---- there are a few N.O.S on Ebay.com and they all state for R5 Alpine/Gordini but the reference numbers appear to differ so I guess its back to the old problem of trying to find which is the correct one for my year ---- but thanks again for your help.

Distributor number ideally should be correct for engine code 840-***
As there may be difference in advance curves to match engine build specs
Fitting wise can't see why it would matter
But these engines do need to be set on rolling road ideally to get timing and fuelling correct

Hello again chaps --- It appears I am just left with the problem of the Distributor --- I have been given the part number for the Distributor that suits the 1980 R5 Gordini engine by a kind chap called Tony on the classic Renault forum ---- Ducellier 5254028/B which apparently should have marked on the side R/230 and C/34 ---- if anybody has one spare that they would be prepared to sell or knows of other forum members who might have one I would be very greatful ---- all conditions would be considered as any starting point is better than none
Steve

Back