Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

(R5Ts into R5GTL into R4F4 c",)

reidalpine

Enthusiast
Gang! for those with access to (or knowledge of) the real differnces between the R1225 R5GTL 1289cc.(810-G-726motor)-77mod. and the R1224 R5TS also 1289cc (what should the motorcode be?)-76mod.

Would i be ok in swapping the top-end only-or do I need to move over any other bitz?

First one said to have at-least 44bhp depending on marked, second one a more uniform 64bhp -so ought to be quicker & faster,but I can't seem to find the TORQUE-figures which I'm more interested in.Also -anyone in the know of fuel-figures for the TS-motor? Second one said to reach a top of 156km/h which I already do with 1st one so what would be the expected gain? 5th.speed gearbox on second type has same final gearing as 4th.of firts type,so would this mean only more gearing with no more bonus squashed flies? :confused:

Angelos is AVOL at the moment,so I'm leaning on the rest of you lot as I need to reach a decition pretty soon.
-R.

44hp seems low for a 1289cc engine - American spec maybe? Haynes book of lies quotes 47bhp and 57 lbf ft of torque for the 1108cc and 64bhp and 67 lbf ft torque for the 1289cc. I had understood the 1289cc engine to be in the same spec GTL and TS.

For the 5 speed gearboxes - I know the TX has lower gearing that the later GTL. TX gearing is equivalent to the Renault 4, GTL a bit higher. Don't know about the TS.

Addendum: remembered I last saw my Haynes book of fibs balancing on a 60L.barrel of goo.so just fished it out of there(makes for sloppy reading..)
it says that the 5GTl-motor(810-G-726) has 44bhp at 5000rpm.Torque is 62,2lb/ft at 2000rpm Comp:8,5:1
The 5TS(810-25?) has 64bhp at 6000rpm.Torque is 67 lb/ft at 3500rpm Comp:9,5
Torque is up by 4,8lb/ft -Would this be noticeable in practical running?? -last figure is given at 3500rpm which is Much higher than first ex,how will this affect it all?

My math is lousy at the best of times-so this ones for you.. -R.

Your book of lies has different figures for the equivalent 810 engines? Maybe they thought they could fib more in Norway.

HI Malcolm. -seems we're working simultaniously... Good to see you again at Thenay-do by the way!
-You might be right in guessing Am-specs as it goes pretty well as is-Too good for 44hp? Only Outide difference on these 2 would be a single barrel 32mm Weber w.acc-pump.
as opposed to a dual-barrel Weber 32 (wacuum actuated 2.nd barrel w.2 acc.pumps
No idea re.needle/jet-sizes tho'
Obviously the +20hp (given in here)must come from somewhere..longer duration cam/dual-carb w.bigger needles/??
my 4-1 headers is now Finally in the making-so hopefully it will let Roffen breathe more freely -R.

Your book of lies has different figures for the equivalent 810 engines? Maybe they thought they could fib more in Norway.

Ha-ha..I've got the orig Uk one ISBN 0 85696 141 8 -R.
(the 4-5 of us over here didnt meet the marked-demand of Haynes issuing a Norw-edidtion.

This TS-motor would be the one they called the LS in France,I've always meant it to be the most powerful and certainly its the most difficult one to locate in France (or anywhere)as they went like scalded rats so went on to rallye/racing/track/sprint etc.

Hi guys, the bhp on the 1289cc seems low, but according to What Car? used car survey March 1984, "the 5GTL arrived in 1976.......the 1289cc engine tuned for high torque at low revs and actually producing less power (42 instead of 44bhp) than the smaller 5TL (956cc)". The 1289cc automatic (August 78 to January 82) has 54bhp. The TS from 75 to January 82 has 64bhp. How accurate this info is, is anybody's guess. No torque figures given unfortunately.

Thanx for those figures Simon-they seem to closely verify the ones I found myself.
They seem very correct when talking about the torqyness of my motor,as its really strong from down low. If anyone else has additional or new tidbitz of info I'm all ears!
even though I feel I have enough power you know how it goes...yet a little extra something would be welcome,right? -R.

Only real difference is that the GTL was detuned and set up for economy, TS was more about performance. Guess the biggest problem now would be finding a good 1289 engine.

I had a GTL that needed a new engine years ago, fortunately I acquired a '77 TS with relevant engine which made its way across complete with TS gearbox. Noticeable improvement in speed!

Hi Lobster! fortunately I have one at hand already.Only "down-side" is its in a really well looked after TS which I then have to rob of its motor/gear. I'm a bit torned about this as this TS is a coming classic in itself..but then again, you'll have to crack some eggs to make an omelet right?
-just out of curiosity-Whats the top speed on your TS? fuelconsumption? -R.

r5 gear box 5 speed

Sorry for my dummy question¡

I understand the 5 speed gearbox has a final rate, I mean 5th gear rate of 1:1.
Is that so? Isn't it 1: less than one? :o

Just for my knowledge!

Regards

Last edited:
Shame if you'd end up killing the R5 though.

I did break the '77 TS I bought although at the time they were a bit more common, some of the parts went into my other R5s, the high back seats got retrimmed (sold them later, wish I hadn't).

I actually had two 1289 engines at one point. The one that went in the GTL got scrapped with the GTL which was terminally rotten. Other one got sold. Should have kept them all really...

it would have made it much easier on my concience if you just cheered me on Lobster.
-naw-I know what you''re saying..
Last thing I need would be yet another car sitting round here-or so my wife tells me.
-I'm looking into the ownres plans for the car if I dont buy it-as it seems now it will be
sitting there till it sinks into the ground-Strange but true. -R.

Reidalpine :)

The question is if the engine runs at, lets say 2000 rpm, the rpm at the end shaft of both gear boxes is one same number or , is the five speed one at higher rpm on respect the other.

Regards

Haven't a clue what tests, if any, produced these figures but at least you can make a comparison between the versions. Check out the spare parts prices from 1984. If only they were true today!

• 2011-08-09 09.58.42.jpg
    2011-08-09 09.58.42.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 2011-08-09 09.54.42.jpg
    2011-08-09 09.54.42.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 80
some food for thoughts there Simon-I'm not Overly concerned by the somewhat lower mpg-figures as the Roffmobile is only in use in the summer and he's allowed a few extra drinks !! The other figures is of more interest to me -dare I say? -R.

is now a good time for for me to mention that ive still got a 1300 r5 mk1 engine for sale attached to a 5 speed box high ratio ie not from a ts/ tx offers by pm or will list on parts for sale as not everybody reads every post

regards differenes between engines no idea exactly but as a clue there are at least 3 different cam timing figures listed for 5 bearing engines loads of comp ratios and 2 different designs of head chambers as later 1300 and 1400 heads use long reach plugs unlike all standard r4s then uve got carb differeces ie single carb on gtl with a throttle stop on 76 -79 cars !!!!! early autos had no stop 1300 ts had dual barrel weber
then 1400 ts tx autos available 81 on all had weber twin barrel and electronic ignition
finally ditributor curves exhaust systems and even emmision gear will vary between models sold worldwide so overall who nknows what combination work best in an R4 :)or perhaps even that will depend on what parts are available now in each owners location

Back