Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

(R5Ts into R5GTL into R4F4 c",)

I quite like those figures up there, my 4 with the Renault 5 GTL 1108cc engine averages 38 to the gallon, with a shonky carburetor and my heavy right foot!

I don't think I'll bother too much in trying to improve the performance in the future.

I drive thousands of miles a year in big vans which generally can accelerate as quickly as most modern cars, when I get into my car I want to relax and enjoy myself, I don't "need" a huge engine in my 4!

Yes I agree with you pepper, not that I don't like modified cars, but our little 4 is fine trundling along at 60-65mph, returning about 40 mpg. It's pure driving pleasure.:smile:

agree with both of you re.calm laidback driving -it's only that once in a while (especially at full moon) I get this urge to grow horns and chase someone -Anyone....
-I have all the respect for people trying to maintain their 4 as orig as poss,but when I found myself driving the other (nonR4-car)more and more often -I decided to do something to Roffen so I could enjoy it every day ,long hauls or short hops-whatever.
Now he's as versatile as anyones car Plus having the enormous advantage of being a R4. so best of both worlds all in one nice wrapper -R.

I like the low speed traveling of our 4 (even if during the journey to Thenay and back home my 4 keeps the respectable speed of 120 km/h with a max of 140 downhill, coming back from Paris), but when climbing... it's a pity...
So I was looking for a more brilliant engine; for a while I looked for a 1.4, but from your jpg the fuel consumption is a bit too high for my taste... I think I will go for the easier option of the 688 engine...
But I met a guy in Thenay, that in a really nice way showed us his f6 van in which he fitted a c1j engine with 5 speed gearbox and twin-barrel carb (I think it's the complete r5tx stuff), with a kind of electronic ignition inside the distributor (I did not completely understand, but it seems to involve some optic law...) and an italian lpg implant, assuring it was around 16 km/l (38 mpg, I think).
By the way, my 4 is my only car for everyday use and travels, so even if I do not look for more speed I would like some more "sprint" uphill, where my car truely stops a lot and hesitate to take speed again if I have to decelerate...

Last edited:
Yes I do agree with what you are both saying, a little extra power can be very useful at times. But just a little bit, leave the Gordini engined beasties to Derek and Malcolm. These horns that you sometimes have R, not the devil but your Viking forefathers being reincarnated surely?:eek:

Ha ha. No wonder you have to drive like a demon now and then.:twisted: C4

Back