Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Radiator leak - recommendations?

I try not to use anything, modern car engines have very fine waterways, and sticking stuff in with the water just causes more problems.

I know it's more expense but better to pay for just a replacement radiator than, leak seal and then a replacement radiator, do it once and do it properly saves an awful lot of money in the long term.

I agree with Pepper a recore or a new rad are the only solutions you can rely on.Depending on the price of a new Radiator a recore will usually be about £110 or there about and is as good as new.Gary

Hi Tom, yes these chaps are right, if you use a sealer it is just a short fix and of course the problem will return just at the wrong moment. New rad or re-core and hey-presto, cooling sorted and no-worries. Brian.:smile:

As a temporary fix try and seal it with something from the outside. Rad weld just clogs up the insides - especially the inside of the heater matrix :(

(I'm trying to remove rad weld from a car at the moment - one thing to also note is Rad weld cures when dry - so draining the coolant to do head work has left me with a load of dry rad weld inside the engine :shock: )

As a temporary fix try and seal it with something from the outside. Rad weld just clogs up the insides - especially the inside of the heater matrix :(

(I'm trying to remove rad weld from a car at the moment - one thing to also note is Rad weld cures when dry - so draining the coolant to do head work has left me with a load of dry rad weld inside the engine :shock: )

I can see how that would be a problem!
Thank you guys for the advice, I'm going to start looking around for a replacement radiator to do a proper job of it.

Hi Tom, you may not need to replace the rad, as I'm sure there will be a company in your area that could recore yours. Might be easier than sourcing a replacement rad. It seems leaky radiators are catching on. Just today whilst down at renault4mads' garage with our 4, Andrew said, where is that water coming from? Drip drip.:( Now where did I put that Radseal?:smile:

That's not bad, but apparently I can get a whole new radiator off ebay for about the same.
Meanwhile, the leak has completely stopped of its own accord. I still keep an eye on the level and carry a spare bottle of coolant, but I'm not going to mess around replacing it just yet. Especially as £100 far exceeds the car's value and I'm planning to take it off the road in less than a month.

Back