Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Really old UK rhd R4 on ebay - spares only?

snailshed

Enthusiast
Hi Guys,
I wouldn't normally post ads about cars you see for sale on ebay but I came across the R4 in the link (in Gravesend) and felt driven to put a post up here as it must be a very early one (1960's anyway) and appears to be UK rhd presumably from new.

I'm not one of those fearsome romantics who demands that it 'must be saved' while actually shrinking away from offering to do it myself, but someone on here can likely identify exactly how early it is and if it warrants saving? In reality for anyone rebuilding or owning a real early one then it may be worth picking over for some bits. The start price is low enough to at least pick it over for any choice rare bits before it's final journey to the crusher otherwise.

Anyway, link here. Best of luck to anyone feeling brave!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331867257510?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Gravesend is almost on my doorstep. Poor old girl. How could anybody do that to an old car?

Of course I have been watching it! its been on ebay 3 or 4 times already, calling to me...
Its on a 1964 B reg so very early in rhd.
As you say its completly beyond restoration and I would buy it, but it would have to live outside, which is not very fair on the old thing.
Still thinking it over...

It's that classic car conundrum. It is old enough and rare enough that you think it should be saved but it is frankly beyond the skills, patience, determination and budget of 99% of home restorers to tackle, or pay a professional to without a lottery win. If you have a couple of other early ones and it could yield worthwhile bits then I for one think no less of you for buying it, filleting it for bits and letting the carcass go to the crusher knowing it helped keep others on the road. When it comes to no-hopers sometimes you have to be pragmatic about these things...

chap who sprayed my car told me about it a few weeks ago only had a look on his phone at a few photos ,looked a lot of work,but at the time he wanted rid ,and was happy to take 60 pounds for it but as we all know its having both time and money:laughing:

It doesn't appear to be restoreable as it is, more of a donor, but it would be a great shame to see it going to scrap as it does seem largely complete and the bits and pieces fitted to it are rare. £300 seems expensive even though it isn't much money these days. Knock it down to £50 and the rest would pay for transport costs. Maybe combine with parts from a French car to produce an early RHD car? Otherwise @Bobble it has the metal panels under the dash missing from your '65.

Just sold my Renault 5 to a man from Kent, so he is coming up here with an empty truck...So guess which rust old 4 he might bring for me!

Can't wait for pics did you view before buying
It might not be that bad

No to far to go to view such a cheap car, expecting the worst!
The only shame is its bben moved away from the shed it was kept in, so any spares will have been lost.
Should arrive Thursday week, so will see then...

well done Stuart, i was watching it and was very tempted as there are quite a few bits that's difficult to find, well you might be surprised but as you say always expect the worst.

Basically I bought it for spares, because as you say there will be lots of hard to find early bits on it.
I hope to stuff it in a corner of the garden and pick bits off as needed. So if you want anything just let me know.

Stuart, i might take you up on that as i will be starting to renovate an older F4 i have :laughing:

Hi Stuart,
If that is the case, and they are not too far gone I would be interested in buying the chrome sill trims off of the car if you didn't have plans for them. I'm not especially near Leicester so we might need to talk about P+P or whatever plus a price. Perhaps if this is of interest - I realise you don't even have the car yet! - then drop me a pm when it gets home and we'll talk via conversation.

Thanks

Back