Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear axle Mounting Help

Rich

Enthusiast
I found this hole today.

null_zps32c7bde5.jpg

null_zpsf9cb3dc7.jpg

After advice! I know I can buy a new Rear axle mount but how much work is it to replace? Do I have to drop the whole rear axle?

Both side of the rear axle mounts are solid, it's just the tube in the middle that's rusted, could I sleeve it with another piece of tube?

What are my options?

Thanks Rich

You will probably need to drop the axle. (I did mine and it wasnt too major a job)

Quick question, is the arm inside solid enough or is that rusted as well ?

I believe the arms are cast steel rather than cast iron, One of mine had rusted thu (Only a pin hole but a bit scary)

Thanks alewis, the tube inside looks good.

Is it a case of undoing the bolts and it comes out or is it under load?

Its not under much load and should come off relatively easily when the car is up in the air. The inner bolts can be a pain to access. (I couldn't get to the nuts because the tow bar was in the way - so ended up removing the fuel tank.

I found this hole today.

null_zps32c7bde5.jpg

null_zpsf9cb3dc7.jpg

After advice! I know I can buy a new Rear axle mount but how much work is it to replace? Do I have to drop the whole rear axle?

Both side of the rear axle mounts are solid, it's just the tube in the middle that's rusted, could I sleeve it with another piece of tube?

What are my options?

Thanks Rich

Hi Rich I've just replaced a rear axle mounting my local garage did it for me ,but once he got the old axle mounting off the back of the chassis was rotten ,of the guy to fabricate part of the chassis and fit the axle mounting he charged me £300 ,I'll send you photos if you send me your e mail address ,where you buying your parts from ???
Thanks mark

Hi Rich I've just replaced a rear axle mounting my local garage did it for me ,but once he got the old axle mounting off the back of the chassis was rotten ,of the guy to fabricate part of the chassis and fit the axle mounting he charged me £300 ,I'll send you photos if you send me your e mail address ,where you buying your parts from ???
Thanks mark

Yes please Mark!

Hi

appreciate this a few years old, but I need to get one of my rear axle mounts replaced (found the part on a German website). I‘d be interested to find a garage that can do it or whether it is possible to DIY it. Thanks

Back