Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear brake slave cylinder sizes anyone?

superR4

Greetings all - a connundrum -

I have an '84 R4 112302a model, and i'm looking for the right sized replacement rear brake slave cylinders for this model.

So far i have seen 22.2mm 20.6mm and 19mm cylinders for sale, but none of these are listed as being suitable for an '84 model.
The 19mm is listed as suitable up to '82, the 22.2mm is listed as suitable only for the later GTL & R5, and the 20.6mm is listed as being suitable for the GTL up to '82.

Is anyone able to shed light on what the size was for the standard 850cc model after '82?
I would be very grateful indeed for any information offered.

I've been using the car daily in france for a long time and it's needs a new CT now, but i'm back in the UK for a while so thought i'd ask the questions in English whilst i'm here!

You need to know the make of cylinder fitted - rear brakes were either Girling or Bendix. Assuming you don't have the car with you at the moment then it would be wise to check when you get back to France.

Assuming that your R4 has drum brakes up front (and 160mm rear drums) as all 845s have, it should have 3/4" (19mm) rear brake cylinders.

The Haynes manual shows the photos of both types. Also the rubbers on the cylinders often have the makers name on them and they may be on the cylinder bodies as well. The brake shoes and self adjusting mechanism are different too.

I have this snag at the moment too. What i found was that you cant even just swap Girling for Bendix because the bolt holes in the back plates are in different places on either wheel cylinder so you need the right ones for the job. And dont guess what ones you need because they will no doubt be the wrong ones (mine were)

Thankyou for your all your replies & advice, much appreciated.

I might just buy the 19mm ones whilst i'm here because they're about 1/5th of the price on UK Ebay as they are through a french authorised dealer, so for £12 i can afford to get the wrong ones i guess.
If they are wrong i'll put them up for sale on this forum at a bargain-basement price.
Thanks again

If your R4 has 160mm rear drums (which probably does) you don't need to worry about Girling or Bendix, they were all the same.

Back