Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear Suspension unit for later model.

tim1casa

Enthusiast
I am looking for a complete rear suspension unit for my 1980 F4 van. It has been off the road for over 4 years now. It is now in my local garage, and we have discovered that the rear Rt swing arm is bent. This is a casting, and essentially will be impossible to straighten out. It will easiest to replace the whole rear axle assembly rather than just the bent one. Does anyone have one or know of one?

It's unlikely to be bent. You can adjust the tracking by loosening the 3 outer mount bolts. The mounting pivots on the upper bolt adjusting the angle of the wheel. Bolts might need some unveiling if they haven't been apart before.

I am looking for a complete rear suspension unit for my 1980 F4 van. It has been off the road for over 4 years now. It is now in my local garage, and we have discovered that the rear Rt swing arm is bent. This is a casting, and essentially will be impossible to straighten out. It will easiest to replace the whole rear axle assembly rather than just the bent one. Does anyone have one or know of one?
Tim
There's a complete F4 unit here:

And another here - it has an anti-roll bar, so is likely to have the thicker van torsion bars:

And in Spain:

The first one I have looked at, but it is the same as I already have, front handbrake set up. I have also looked on Leboncoin, and there are several. The best is in Perpignan. However I can't get on to register on Leboncoin, as they don't accept UK telephones. I even tried pitting in a Spanish one, but I couldn't get any result. They must realise my server is UK based. However, my garage owner does a lot of Citreon restorations and has a contact in France. We are trying to work something through him. I will be going out to Spain in February, so that might be my eventual option. I do know of a scrapped van nearby which I have already been buying parts from, but they are not cheap. I did want it back on the road in the New Year, but I might just have to wait.

It's unlikely to be bent. You can adjust the tracking by loosening the 3 outer mount bolts. The mounting pivots on the upper bolt adjusting the angle of the wheel. Bolts might need some unveiling if they haven't been apart before.
I will go to the garage tomorrow. The wheel really tows inwards vertically. He feels the casting is bent, but ....??? However I will see if we can get it back on the ramp and have a look. We have several manuals, and there is always Youtube.

Been to the garage, a plan is afoot. Firstly new electronic ignition and two new tyres, then MOT. While the work for the MOT is being undertaken, we will see if we can adjust the rear swingarm. If not, we will replace when we get a suitable one here. The good news is that it will be back on the road. Can't wait to try it with a decent ignition system.

Back