Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear swing arm

ChrisKay

Enthusiast
Hello
My Renault 4 was registered in 1986.
I'm looking for a fix for a broken offside rear suspension arm.
I'm happy to fit a full axle, if necessary, but am reluctant to jump at anything that may be as fragile as the one on mine which has snapped in the bushing.
I know there's been a fix done, mentioned on this forum, where a stepped insert was inserted through the broken section and this is something I might have to consider.
Any parts being sold/advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you
Chris

I'm not aware about availability of full rear R4 axles in the UK but in France there's plenty.
The cast rear axle https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/2188716804.htm
Or even better this one https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipement_auto/2072689591.htm the R6 and R4 axles are the same ;)
Thank you for your message.
I know I might have to look in France but I'm worried about sourcing one there, paying for carriage, then finding it fails at the same point, due to corrosion. I'd prefer to see something first, even if it means a long drive to collect.
The MOT is due in November so I have enough time to try and sort it, even if it involves a welded fix. I've messaged the forum member who posted the photo. Hopefully I get a reply, although the last time they logged on was in 2019.

All the best Chris

did post link, but part has now sold, was in Spain, new complete RHS arm/bushes; they do come up here but move fast...

Last edited:
Thank you.
I don't speak fluent Spanish and have struggled a bit navigating the Milanuncias site. Could you perhaps help me out with the exact terminology I should be using for a search... "cast iron rear suspension arm" is coming out as "brazo de suspension traders de hierro cadt", using an online dictionary.
All the best Chris

Good luck on search, Wallapop is another site similar to Milauncios here in Spain, both more popular than the standard ebay here, piezasautoclassicos is worth looking at as well, pacolugo may still be worth a message ( one of the guys speaks basic english), used there myself in person, has a smaller inventory than piezas but is a hands on enthusiast so still may be of help on search.

Last edited:
Hi Chris. How did you get on with sourcing a new rear axle? I have had problems with rear tyre wear, and it now transpires the swing arm is bent. I do happen to have another set, but it is for the earlier models with the front handbrake set up. So I am on the same hunt as you were.

Back