Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear window refitting

Brian

Enthusiast
hi does anyone know how to get the rear window glass Paine in it seems too big!

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian, I have not taken the rear window out of my R4 but assuming it is the same as a 2cv quarter window to refit, start by fitting the rubber to the window, rather than to the car. Next fit the bottom of the window rubber first to the metal lip in the body lifting the rubber where the curves start to turn up. This is important or the window will not sit low enough on the lip. Some people put a piece of string round the rubber so once the lip is started you can pull the string out and it brings the rubber over the metal lip with it. This can need lubricant to assist. On 2cv windows I pull the rubber over with a rolling motion using my thumb and don't bother with the string. Go up both sides at the same time (a little one side then a little the other etc) and don't be afraid to stop after two or three inches up to wobble the window down fully onto the metal lip.

Halfway in, you may need to place the palm of your hand on the outer face of the glass and push the window into the aperture as it will help the seal seat better round the metal lip, which in turn helps getting the rest of the rubber over the lip easier. Once at the top of the sides, continue on one side across the top, so finishing in a top corner. It is all a little about feel. From experience, 2cv side windows you can be remarkably rough with pushing them about mid fit, but the windscreens are just itching to crack. I suspect an R4 side window will be similar to a 2cv side window.
Best of luck!

I have done it this way.
First boiled rubber in water (to get more flexible rubber)
Put rubber on glass.
On outer side of rubber there is channel. One that you fit to car body. Have put 5/6/7mm rope (what i could find in garage) inside.
stick lower part of rubber to edge of window hole on car body. get rope thru window hole first.
Pushed glass from outside with my hand (it is recommended to use helper - much easier to do the job) and puled slowly rope in such way that edge oh rubber channel is switched over window hole frame.

At the start it will go easy. But as you go closer to end you will need more strength to pull rope and more stronger push of glass form outside.
Here comes help from boiled rubber, as rubber is more flexible and it is easier to bend it in tight corners.

Good luck with it.

I would also add to make the job infinitely easier, put washing up liquid on your rope and also soap the channel in the rubber where the car body will eventually sit. Definitely a two handed job, easy if you take your time and don't put too much strain on the glass.

Back