Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Rear windows for R4

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi. I am looking for the rear opening windows for an R4, the windows in the body. I have seen pics of them, like the original mini rear windows. Anyone know where I can get a set .

Hi Edwin,
I don't think those were even fitted in the R4. You probably will have to get some hinges and adapt them to the glass.

Yes, they were fitted to some 'export de luxe' models, according to Google, but I've never seen any R4s with opening rear quarter lights and believe the chances of finding any are just about zero. That's a shame as on the hottest of days, they would help greatly expelling the heat inside.

Actually I have some but sorry not willing to part with them. For a future project ( car for my son )
They are very rare but you stand a chance on le Bon Coin

I had no idea. Never seen any R4 with those here in Portugal.

Actually I have some but sorry not willing to part with them. For a future project ( car for my son )
They are very rare but you stand a chance on le Bon Coin

Jonathan, How similar are the opening rear quarterlights to the standard ones? I presume the rubber seal must be a different shape to allow the glass to tilt outwards? I imagine the old Mini catches and 'hinges' could be used/modified. Pictures please?

Ah! La Parisienne. I would love a set of basket work decals for my car and indeed did find a site that said they had them for sale but when I enquired further I was met with a blank. anyone had better luck than me?

Ah! La Parisienne. I would love a set of basket work decals for my car and indeed did find a site that said they had them for sale but when I enquired further I was met with a blank. anyone had better luck than me?
Jeff & Chris Graphics would probably do you a set if you give them the details & photos. They do all the graphics for 2CVs and a lot more.

Hi retro-I think there was a guy in the Netherlands that reproduced the wickers-not sure he did both (or was it 3 colors?) check out the Dutch R4L-club for info -Reid

Thanks Guys. I will investigate a local graphics firm. It's much easier if you can talk face to face.

The opening back windows are in a job lot of smashing rare early bits ive not rummaged through everything yet so not sure if I have the rubbers even.

I'd be interested to see exactly what the hinges, catch and rubber seals look like to see if identical or similar items can be sourced. I shall keep my eyes peeled at Thenay as there's bound to be some there.

I am with you Paul Narroamore....It would be very interesting to see details how it is done originally on R4.

Latter, i believe, some other hinges, catch and rubber seal can be modified maybe can be adapted to fit R4.

I have stumbled on one pair at leboncoin few years back but did not get any kind of answer from seller.

I saw these at Thenay. Really neat. I wonder where they are available from?

• IMG_9197.JPG
    IMG_9197.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9198.JPG
    IMG_9198.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9200.JPG
    IMG_9200.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9202.JPG
    IMG_9202.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi retro-I think there was a guy in the Netherlands that reproduced the wickers-not sure he did both (or was it 3 colors?) check out the Dutch R4L-club for info Reid

There was a stand at Thenay selling wicker work and I think tartan stickers, and very nice they looked to. Unfortunately I didn't get his name.

I saw these at Thenay. Really neat. I wonder where they are available from?
Hi Paul. That is exactly what I wanted. Great photos. Now I at least know they exist, and know what I am looking for. I understand the glass is the same, but drilled. Rubber may be different.
Thanks for the info. Edwin

Yes Edwin. There were one or two cars with similar opening rear windows but the owners were never with them even when I returned later. They look very neat and from the sounds of it, very scarce. The search begins eh?

Back