Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Reg the 1985 GTL is for sale

Chris Litchfield

Enthusiast
Hello all

I have decided to sell my 1985 GTL, as I am not really using him much since buying a new work car. I don't have the time to look after him and the 2CV, so have offered him up for sale.

He passed his MOT at the end of May. At the time, I got an estimated value from Renospeed of £2000-2500. In the current climate this seems a very optimistic and I have seen some lovely 4's going for that price recently. Reg is lovely, but not perfect. He passed his MOT, but Derek did say that he thought the rear chassis leg would need a patch next year. I have uploaded detailed up to date photos of him in my album and was wondering if any of you could give me your opinion as to what you think he is worth? I would be happy if I could sell him for £1500, although he has been advertised for higher.

Apart from the rust on the chassis leg, he is a very straight, honest and original car. I have all of his history and have tried to maintain him well (although he is due for a waxoyl...) Last year he was treated to a brand new Ducellier distributor, as his horrid old Femsa one had worn out. His MOT runs until the end of May next year and he is taxed until the end of November. He runs very well and comes with a full history, which covers his 65,000 original miles.

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=22

Any advice or interest would be welcome.

Thanks

Chris

looks like my old one,same year and colour
and a bargain i think even with the welding

luckily my Ami is rusty and no room or else is be tempted and in trouble with the other half!
i do miss buzzing about in mine,nice 2vc too

your r4

Dear Chris
I would be very interested in your R4. Used to have a van version (F6?) many moons ago.
What can you tell me about it? Would you accept £1500 in the next week or two?
Kind regards, Andrew

Hi Andrew

Probably best if I tell you about the car over the phone. I can talk better than I can type! I will send you a PM with my number. You are very welcome to come and view the car and yes I would accept £1500 for it.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris
I would be interested in Reg - we sold Myrtle, my girlfriends '84 GTL, a couple of years ago and she now seriously wants another....
I can't face one that needs too much work, Reg looks ideal.
Obviously Andrew above has first refusal,but please let me know if he doesn't take it - I'm in Guildford so not far for me to come and have a look
Regards
Michael

Nb

I think this is an outstanding car and if you sell it for £1500 you are doing it and you an injustice. As above I too am interested and think that you should be considering the offers over if there is enough interest..

With best wishes,

Davie.:o

Wow
Reg is beautiful. I can see that you have had some offers. The one and only Renault 4 that I owned was in 1993 but I have hankered after one ever since - it was bought when my boys were tiny and now they drive so I would be interested in yours if you have no luck with the others.

Best, Victoria

Dear all

I have spoken to Chris and advised him that I will have to withdraw gracefully from the purchase of Reg. I am reluctant to do so as he looks like a great buy. However, I think that he will need, and deserves, garaging - I have been scrabbling around for the last day or so trying to locate somewhere to keep him 'warm and dry', but have been unable to do so (I don't have a garage of my own). My wife also advises me that the £1,500 would be better spent mending our porch before it falls down! I might have been able to persuade her otherwise, but the lack of garaging is the real clincher. I am rather gutted :(, but hope to be looking again if I can sort out some storage in due course.

Anyway, I note that there are several other people interested, so my loss will hopefully be their gain.

Apologies again to Chris.......

Kind regards, Andrew

Hi Chris,
I saw that there has been a graceful withdrawal of an offer - do you believe that Reg will need to be kept in a garage to run properly, if so I will not be in the running either as I live in London.

My email is victoriahoskyns@yahoo.com, maybe you could send me your number and I can call you for a chat tomorrow?

Thanks,

Victoria

Dear Victoria

I didn't withdraw because I think Reg needs garaging in order to run properly, but rather to preserve him in his current condition. I wouldn't envisage that keeping him outside would compromise him too quickly......it would just be a great shame, given his current condition.

Kind regards, Andrew

r4sale

What is all this about keeping in a garage?
It is a car and built for use.
It is true keeping a car in a garage may preserve the body if the garage is dry and the car is put away dry but there is much greater risk from winter salt.
I would think 90% of the cars in the UK live in the open and run perfectly well as they are intended to do.
So worry not if your car is well maintained it is not likley to give trouble from living in the open.
Gary

I'll bow out after this.......all I can say is that salt plus water in an old renault 4 is not good. I had one that I admit that I neglected rather and it fell apart over the course of 5 years or so.
I wasn't proposing to keep it in a garage and never use it, rather to only use during periods when the roads aren't gritted and try and to protect it from the wettest that Blighty can throw at us. I think that the fact that most of the good example of cars of this vintage are of relatively low milage (I would say 60K is low for a 25year old car) show that their condition is due to not being used as work-a-day vehicles.
Kind regards, Andrew

Appreciate where you are coming from there Andrew. As soon as you get yourself a garage let me know - you'd be the perfect person to look after the lovely Ornella.

My GTL lives outside and is used all year around. Sure she deteriorates, but I get a lot of fun out of using her, and fix her every now and again (or at least I plan to fix her at some point which is the main thing). If you were going to go mad about maintenance the cost of keeping a R4 in tip top condition is much less than the cost of depreciation on any modern car. Renospeed is on hand in London keeping a lot of R4s in good order, and even the rattiest cars can be restored reasonably cheaply (see my projects).

Anyway, back to Reg the GTL.

I'll second Malcolms words about the maintenance of these old cars, my Kias cambelt has just snapped 5000 miles after getting it changed, I can see a €2000 bill coming my way in two weeks time!

My Four has only cost £700 in total and that includes 10lt of waxoyl

Sigh....

I love this site!

I have been doting after a 4 eversince seeing one tucked away under the shade of a barn in the Dordogne.

I think the conversations and advice here have been great....I only registered to see the pictures of Reg! But I think that I would want to keep Reg in a garage or a car port for sure just to keep him shiny...I have to observe however to the 205 experience where other than some bizarre plastic bag over the distributor cap that kept moisure in! Well we did live in Scotland.... the 205 never rusted unless the seal of the paint was broken with a prang. How come the 4's tend to rust?

D:hug:

Appreciate where you are coming from there Andrew. As soon as you get yourself a garage let me know - you'd be the perfect person to look after the lovely Ornella.

Ooooo.....I said I would bow out now, but Ornella does look lovely. Might be a bit pricey for me though. Maybe if I get a pay rise?!

Kind regards, Andrew

Back