Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Reg the 1985 GTL is for sale

the 205 never rusted unless the seal of the paint was broken with a prang. How come the 4's tend to rust?

The main issues with the later R4s are the double skinned areas in the chassis. See the buyers guide for all that. Those areas are susceptible to winter salt, but are repairable.

For bodies the seam sealing was improved a lot in 1984, so the C and D registration cars ('85 and '86 model years) aren't so much of a problem unless they've been bumped or had panels replaced by someone who either doesn't know or doesn't care. A registration cars are quite rare now. B reg is somewhere inbetween.

Let me know if I can be any help with the pay rise Andrew. Perhaps we could all phone up and say we would have taken our multi-million pound orders elsewhere had it not been for that nice Andrew fellow. :D

Has nobody bought Reg yet? I'm tempted myself so I can sell Ermintrude with the bump up the back to one of you guys. Much less need for looking after as she already has a good dent and a few rusty bits. Do let me know Chris if you'd like to redirect your thread more towards Reg. I can move our slightly off-topic discussion into a separate Reg chat thread.

Reg

Hello all

Thanks for all of your comments. You are a fantastic bunch :)

Took Reg out for a spin tonight for the first time in a month or so. It was lovely and I felt very sad at the thought of selling him :(

Victoria has first refusal on the car. If she wants him, I have a feeling that she would be able to give him a very good home. Otherwise I think that Bluebell or Malcom would make lovely parents ;)

Sadly, Dudley is not included in the sale. He will have to take up residence in the 2CV and is currently sulking about it. Mind you, I think he will soon cheer up on a sunny day with the roof wound back....

Thank you Chris. I would certainly take good care of BB but unfortunately Mr B stops me collecting R4s. He puts his foot down with a firm hand.

Now, Blanche is wrapped in cotton wool. She spends the winter in a nice warm garage and we don't have salt on the roads here anyway. I never use her for carrying rubbish to the tip or drive her off-road.

But Claude the van gets treated as a proper R4 should and is worked hard every day.

• Claude-in-the-forest.jpg
    Claude-in-the-forest.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 130
Reg has gone to start a new life in South London....

Reg has a new Mum. She came and adopted him this morning. I feel sad, but that is lifted by the fact that I know that Victoria and her family will give Reg a fantastic home and I felt happy and excited for Victoria. (I am going to buy myself a nice new mac laptop with the money, so I am excited about that too!)

This is not the last Renault 4 I will own. When I have a bit more time, I would love a 1970's TL. In the meantime, Barbara will get a bit more attention.

Thanks to everyone for their help and comments (especially Maclom and Bluebell!)

I can't wait to see how Reg is getting on with Victoria and her family!

Three photos of the tearful farewell are in my album...

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=22

Cheers

Chris

I hope Victoria gave Reg a good hose down when she got home to wash away all that salt from those tears!

Seriously though, please join in the forum, Victoria. We'd love to see how you get on with Reg.

I just want to thank Chris for entrusting me to look after Reg - I have already fallen for him completely and spent quite a long time staring at him in wonder last night before I went inside.

He couldn't have had a better owner in the world and I hope I can fill your boots!

Driving him was so nostalgic and brought memories rushing back of when I first became smitten by a Renualt 4, driving one through the Atlas mountains from Marrakech to Agadir in January 1990, through to my adventures with my own.

It feels great to be back.

I am sooooo jealous......that could have been me!

Still think I made the rigth decision for me and for Reg.....we live in a very wet and windy part of derbyshire, on top of an exposed hill, and don't think he would have been happy left standing for most the week (he would have been a weekend treat for me).

Sounds like it will be great for Victoria (and Reg) living so close to Renospeed - ideal.

I am looking to sort out some shelter then will be back looking for my own Reg. Can't wait to have a R4 again......I have got the bug again!

Regards, Andrew

Back